Pulled pork Tamale pies

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
So in this thread I will explain how to make New Mexico Red Chile, and the process to make tamales, except we won’t use corn husk instead we will use Ramekins to make individual tamale pies, and use up that left over pulled pork, or brisket or chicken will work fine here.

Dry Chile pods. Today we will use Guajillo, and New Mexico pods along with about 3 Chile arbol pods (for heat). Use about 3oz. Total. Equal from each. Tear off the tops of the pods and empty the seeds. You don’t have to be thorough. In a 2 quart sauce pan, fill with 1 quart water and bring to boil, remove from heat (this is very important) let stand a couple minutes the add the Chile pods along with 2 or 3 Chile arbol pods. Let thes hydrate for 30 min to 1 hour in the resting water, never boil the Chile!
D32F70A1-AF9F-4662-8C9A-9869671D7DCB.jpeg

6F6BF69A-02C1-4749-BEAC-65FF2FEBD287.jpeg

Once they are reconstituted, remove them to the blender. To that add about 2 medium garlic cloves and 2tsp of chicken bullion along with about half the tea water and blend very well. Let the blender run several minutes to purée the Chile pods.
C79DA3D3-A6E8-4A45-A618-484BA7864F8B.jpeg

8A5D3762-95AB-4E92-89B3-7AEC8B91F2CE.jpeg

pour this into a sauce pan and add more tea water if thick. Turn stove burner on low heat. Be patient here and let the sauce come to simmer very slowly. This step is important. If the Chile gets to hot in temperature it will take on a bitter taste. This is slow and low heat. Once Chile is simmering, if it pops bubbles and spays Chile all over the stove top, add more tea water and thin the sauce until it will behave and just simmer about 20 minutes. You will see a distinct darkening of the sauce. Starts to look maroon and rich. It is done. Congratulations, you have made New Mexico style red Chile. Use it on everything!
B7661F3D-2212-4368-80F1-F8E1AB70AD6D.jpeg

Next we make masa. First we will whip 1/2 to 3/4c manteca (lard) this step is very important. Whip the lard until it Resembles whip cream. We need air infused here. This takes a little while folding the edges down and whipping.
151EA693-CB60-4C08-8A1F-017BB737A35B.jpeg

Next we mix 2c masa flour with 1 1/2 cups water with 1 1/2tsp chicken bouillon. Mix into dough, then add half the whipped lard and incorporate, then add the other half of lard and thoroughly incorporate. Until a plastic type consistency. Fill the ramekins with just enough masa to coat the bottom and sides all the way to top.
A50E171D-C064-42CC-A89F-A73E05051FAB.jpeg

Mix warmed up pulled pork with about 3 large spoon fulls of the Chile.
08BBF828-5AB2-4585-B3F6-8217DED669F3.jpeg

Spoon meat into bowls full leaving a 1/2 inch of room at the top. Then cover that with masa.
14B66AEF-F499-4C73-9830-5DE4ACA2057B.jpeg

A2563D1D-892E-4824-8725-1F38C54FB6F9.jpeg

Then into a baking pan with an inch or so of water in the bottom. Cover this with foil and bake at 350* for a couple hours.
AB389ED4-BD79-4347-BEFC-436279D2B701.jpeg

Stay tuned for the finish.

Last edited:
Those do look good.
I had to google ramekin, LOL, as I had no idea what it was. Of course,even now that I know, I'll have to buy some before I can try this recipe out.
Thanks for the idea and, even better, the recipe.
Gary
Gary, I know what you mean. I’m just a working man and these made no sense to me either. My wife, on the other hand, not only knew what a ramekin was, but actually had some. That’s great! But wasn’t enough, so to the store I went. No Ramekins to be found but,,,,,,,,, I found these at the local Mega-Lo Mart. They are glass bowls about the same size. Microwave and oven safe and a fraction of the price. Made by Anchor Hocking.
C0E779F0-F3A1-4D35-AD08-854F7E2BC37D.jpeg

These work great as well.

Reactions: GaryHibbert
So in this thread I will explain how to make New Mexico Red Chile, and the process to make tamales, except we won’t use corn husk instead we will use Ramekins to make individual tamale pies, and use up that left over pulled pork, or brisket or chicken will work fine here.

Dry Chile pods. Today we will use Guajillo, and New Mexico pods along with about 3 Chile arbol pods (for heat). Use about 3oz. Total. Equal from each. Tear off the tops of the pods and empty the seeds. You don’t have to be thorough. In a 2 quart sauce pan, fill with 1 quart water and bring to boil, remove from heat (this is very important) let stand a couple minutes the add the Chile pods along with 2 or 3 Chile arbol pods. Let thes hydrate for 30 min to 1 hour in the resting water, never boil the Chile!
View attachment 503637
View attachment 503638
Once they are reconstituted, remove them to the blender. To that add about 2 medium garlic cloves and 2tsp of chicken bullion along with about half the tea water and blend very well. Let the blender run several minutes to purée the Chile pods.
View attachment 503639
View attachment 503640
pour this into a sauce pan and add more tea water if thick. Turn stove burner on low heat. Be patient here and let the sauce come to simmer very slowly. This step is important. If the Chile gets to hot in temperature it will take on a bitter taste. This is slow and low heat. Once Chile is simmering, if it pops bubbles and spays Chile all over the stove top, add more tea water and thin the sauce until it will behave and just simmer about 20 minutes. You will see a distinct darkening of the sauce. Starts to look maroon and rich. It is done. Congratulations, you have made New Mexico style red Chile. Use it on everything!
View attachment 503641
Next we make masa. First we will whip 1/2 to 3/4c manteca (lard) this step is very important. Whip the lard until it Resembles whip cream. We need air infused here. This takes a little while folding the edges down and whipping.
View attachment 503643
Next we mix 2c masa flour with 1 1/2 cups water with 1 1/2tsp chicken bouillon. Mix into dough, then add half the whipped lard and incorporate, then add the other half of lard and thoroughly incorporate. Until a plastic type consistency. Fill the ramekins with just enough masa to coat the bottom and sides all the way to top.
View attachment 503644
Mix warmed up pulled pork with about 3 large spoon fulls of the Chile.View attachment 503645
Spoon meat into bowls full leaving a 1/2 inch of room at the top. Then cover that with masa.
View attachment 503646
View attachment 503648
Then into a baking pan with an inch or so of water in the bottom. Cover this with foil and bake at 350* for a couple hours.
View attachment 503650
Stay tuned for the finish.

Man that looks awesme!

You don't know how happy I am to see a New Mexico Red Chili sauce recipe that looks legit!!!!!
I'm gonna have to save this post somewhere for the sauce alone hahah :)

Man that looks awesme!

You don't know how happy I am to see a New Mexico Red Chili sauce recipe that looks legit!!!!!
I'm gonna have to save this post somewhere for the sauce alone hahah :)
Bookmark it by touching the the bookmark icon at the top of every post. Top right hand bar of any post. Just to the left of the post # is a bookmark. Touch that and it will be saved to your bookmarks.

Just pm and ask. I grew up on New Mexico food. My family is Gallegos from central and northern NM. Stretching into western Colorado where I am. Happy to share recipes.

Bookmark it by touching the the bookmark icon at the top of every post. Top right hand bar of any post. Just to the left of the post # is a bookmark. Touch that and it will be saved to your bookmarks.

Just pm and ask. I grew up on New Mexico food. My family is Gallegos from central and northern NM. Stretching into western Colorado where I am. Happy to share recipes.

Bookmark done!

That's awesome to know! I've been wanting a good New Mexican Red sauce for a while but was unsatisfied with everything I ran across, the never seemed right and definitely did not come out right.
Now I know where to go for New Mexico dishes for sure!
I'm born and raised in Texas family roots in Veracruz and Monterrey so I have a little experience in both traditional Mexican and Tex-Mex cuisine if you ever have a question :)

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Bookmark done!

That's awesome to know! I've been wanting a good New Mexican Red sauce for a while but was unsatisfied with everything I ran across, the never seemed right and definitely did not come out right.
Now I know where to go for New Mexico dishes for sure!
I'm born and raised in Texas family roots in Veracruz and Monterrey so I have a little experience in both traditional Mexican and Tex-Mex cuisine if you ever have a question :)
I will definitely reach out. Thank you.
Can also do red Chile from powder. Couple different ways to do it.

One of the finest and most thorough step by steps I've ever seen, huge Like! Even though I bookmarked this doubt I'll ever get around to following thru, as much as I love it looks like it'd take me a couple of days in the kitchen. Phenomenal post! RAY

Reactions: SmokinEdge
One of the finest and most thorough step by steps I've ever seen, huge Like! Even though I bookmarked this doubt I'll ever get around to following thru, as much as I love it looks like it'd take me a couple of days in the kitchen. Phenomenal post! RAY
Awh, thanks Ray.
You know, time wise it’s not that bad. I would hope at some point you could try one aspect of the meal. It’s all very good together, but also all very good on their own. Thanks again.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky