1st Attempt TX Jalapeno and Cheese Smoked Sausage w/ QView

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tallbm

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 30, 2016
Texas
Thanks H HushyQ for giving me the motivation and posting about your TX style Jalapeno and Cheese sausage (here: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/2nd-attempt-at-jalapeño-cheddar-sausage.325176/)

It was a very close to a perfect 1st attempt and I might just nail it on attempt 2. QView and then the writeup:

BfCqU3O.png

lZDUmqh.png

kvQPDOs.png

5SowVRi.png

rQKFTZ6.png

7niZM8f.png

I used H HushyQ 's recipe as a starting guide and made a few small changes when comparing to my other TX style sausage (TX Hot Link).
These were made with about meat at a 3 : 2.5 Venison meat (white tail) to Wild Hog Pork Meat and store bought pork fat and I think a little bit of beef fat I had left out that completed like 4-6 oz of weight I needed to make 10 pounds of sausage lol.

TX style sausages are generally done with both pork and beef. Good clean Venison tastes like very lean beef unless they've been eating a bunch of strong things which mine were not.
The flavor is pretty close to that of my favorite TX style smoked sausage at some BBQ houses (The Hard Eight BBQ house has the best of this style in my area!).

I used dehydrated/dried jalapeno I bought online. I had the desire to just dry some myself but didn't have the time so just bought 1 pound of the stuff.
I bought some blocks of Extra Sharp chedder and cut them in little squares and let them dry a bit in the garage fridge on parchment paper for 3 days, this was perfect! BUT it lost some weight while drying (and me snacking lol) so I had to add some more to get to 1 pound of cheese by weight for my 10 pounds of sausage.

In all I think my changes will be to double the dried jalapeno. I used 20gm for 10 pounds (2gm per pound) and it was not nearly enough for what I run into around here and what I want it to be. This sausage is good and to me doesn't have much of a kick so is mild but still can let you know it has some spice in some bites.
Doubling up on the dried jalapeno makes me think to drop the of cayenne (5gm) and replace with more jalapeno BUT cayenne has really good flavor itself before it get's hot so likely won't tweak that on the next attempt.

I feel like I could add some Coriander too but I don't want to make too many changes when I do the next attempt which will be... I don't know when hahhaha. I kind of want to try some other sausages.

Like a fresh Hatch/Green Chili Pork sausage and I want to do my 5inch+ round German Bologna and SV experiment hahaha.

I DID do my 1st run of a fresh Spanish Chorizo and OMG soooooo goood! Nailed 1st attempt :D

Anyhow I'm rambling now and just glad I can share this with all of you. Enjoy! :D

Your write up reminds me of the angst I go through when trying to adapt a recipe.

I recently made a batch of hot Italian from a new recipe. It was neither hot or Italian in the sample patty. I gave up on trying for hot and simply tried to make it Italian by adding more spices including doubling the fennel.

The one thing that hits me odd is how people feel venison is similar to beef. Maybe in texture, but I feel the flavor is closer to lamb with a wild twang.

Reactions: Nodak21 and nlife
TBM, Excellent looking sausage ! I used to go with dehydrated jalapenos but now I use Mt. Olive diced jalapenos, one jar per ten pounds,I learned this trick from Boyko.

Reactions: jcam222
Man that is drool worthy for sure. I can almost taste it. One of these days I'll get off my butt and try stuffing some sausage.

Your write up reminds me of the angst I go through when trying to adapt a recipe.

I recently made a batch of hot Italian from a new recipe. It was neither hot or Italian in the sample patty. I gave up on trying for hot and simply tried to make it Italian by adding more spices including doubling the fennel.

The one thing that hits me odd is how people feel venison is similar to beef. Maybe in texture, but I feel the flavor is closer to lamb with a wild twang.
Oh there is definitely some angst at times when developing an acceptable sausage recipe hahaha.
I've also learned that sausage that the test patty will not really taste like the finished product (extremely true with cured and smoked sausage). I've learned that as long as it has good taste and isn't too bland, too overpowering, or too salty then it will taste good even if the flavors aren't perfect.

I have rarely found that an online recipe or a store bought seasoning is perfect as is. Often the online recipes need HEAVY tweaking where store bought seasoning instructions need tweaking to not bee to salt or to not be to bland which is simpler to add less or add more in that case.
The recipes I've gotten online from this community are very close though so per usual, this is the best place online to get a good starting point recipe of any kind ESPECIALLY if others have tried and provide positive feedback about it.

Ah I can see how you come up with venison having a lamb and wild tang flavor. I've had some like that.
The deer I pull in my areas are eating tons of acorn and corn. Additionally it is very important how the animal is treated from being dropped in the field all the way to it being processed into something edible.
Poor storage and cooling after dropping it can lead to unwanted stronger taste.
Poor cleaning/butchering/deboning can lead to a lot of unwanted and stronger tastes. I learned a wise butchering rule of thumb; If you wouldn't throw the tissue into a skillet and eat it, then it does NOT need to be part of a grind or a steak cut and should be removed and fed to the dogs or thrown out. This is sooooo true, especially with the fact that venison fat is not a desirable flavor to us where we like pork, bovine, and poultry fats way more.
Finally, I mostly drop does and spikes (usually younger spikes) and does and younger spikes taste better 100% hands down. I believe the does are better due to little testosterone, and young spikes well maybe less testosterone and younger meat is always better.

I hear that the whitetail that are in scrubby desert parts of TX always have a strong taste due to their diet. I'm glad I most often get good tasting ones here :D
I love talking all this deer and wild life stuff. FYI, the wild pigs, as long as the fat and meat doesn't stink have always been good to go for me. No matter if its a 60 pounder or a 350 pounder that is smelly on the outside. Just gotta get the guts, head, and hide off of them and things are almost always good to go in my experience. I don't buy into this "big old smelly hogs are bad to eat" because I've smelled some fairly strong ones when dropped but once skinned they have been good to go :D

Those look fantastic, and I would enjoy a big plate of those and a bowl of dipping mustard.

View attachment 690017

What's not to love here.

Thanks for posting

David
Thanks David!

Yeah I did exactly that hahahaha. Just fork and knifed it and dipped in some mustard. It was soooo goood. Also ate some with some keto bread and just mustard as well. Hit the spot perfectly!

TBM, Excellent looking sausage ! I used to go with dehydrated jalapenos but now I use Mt. Olive diced jalapenos, one jar per ten pounds,I learned this trick from Boyko.
Thanks!
I'll have to take a look into it. I'm honestly hoping people I know will have a bumper crop of Jalapenos and will give them away (was a common thing a number of years ago).
Then I would just dehydrate in the smoker, with no smoke, and then have all I need for all kinds of things hahaha.
It's sad though I haven't seen anyone have a bumper crop of jalapenos in like 5 - 7 years with how hot things have been getting. Same is happening to tomatoes.
People still seem to have bumper crops of onions and cilantro though so I'm grateful for getting my hands on some of that :D

Man that is drool worthy for sure. I can almost taste it. One of these days I'll get off my butt and try stuffing some sausage.
Thanks! A few things got me going on it this year. It had always been on the back burner for me but this year I outsourced the cleaning, deboning, and grinding of my 4 deer and 1 wild hog to a trusted wild game processer. Had them do all that and just grind it for me since I took no time off to process this past hunting season. Now I can break this stuff out and do various batches of sausage and this was top of the list :D

If you get prepped and take the dive, I look forward to reading about it and seeing what you make :D

Holy cow! Looks darn good to me.....Some crackers and cheddar and I could make a meal right there.

Jim
Thanks Jim!

Yeah many meals to come from it for sure. I feel I have to eat through this batch before I attempt iteration #2 where I think I'm going to double Jalapeno and add some corriander. This is pretty close too and I'm glad about the flavor it had once smoked because though the test patty was fine, it was not very wowing with flavor alone, but I know not to judge the sausage until it's a cooked sausage instead of a test patty lol. It just reaffirmed that bit of wisdom 100%.

BTW, I used about 60% Hickory and then equal parts Maple and Cherry and it was great flavor. I often use this combo when I don't know what to do because it's usually a good base AND it's cheap and easy for me. I just use Pit Boss Competition Blend (MCH) and add Hickory to it since just Pit Boss is quite mild. Not sure I mentioned the smoke I applied. I applied about 3 hrs of it :)

Man those links look Incredible tallbm. That recipe is a definite keeper and gonna be in regular rotation around here so big thanks to Chudds video. I just took my last links out of the freezer that I've been saving and will hoist one to you sir at lunch. Wow, you are doubling the Jalapeño??? I am probably still gonna cut mine down a bit next time, lol. Those dehydrated babies are HOT. I'm so jealous of you Texans for all the great BBQ and Prime Beef you all have that I cannot get around here. Love the pics. Can't wait to see your next batch. Since St. Paddy's is around the corner its Pastrami time for me. And maybe some Pastrami Dogs? Hmmmmmmm.

Man those links look Incredible tallbm. That recipe is a definite keeper and gonna be in regular rotation around here so big thanks to Chudds video. I just took my last links out of the freezer that I've been saving and will hoist one to you sir at lunch. Wow, you are doubling the Jalapeño??? I am probably still gonna cut mine down a bit next time, lol. Those dehydrated babies are HOT. I'm so jealous of you Texans for all the great BBQ and Prime Beef you all have that I cannot get around here. Love the pics. Can't wait to see your next batch. Since St. Paddy's is around the corner its Pastrami time for me. And maybe some Pastrami Dogs? Hmmmmmmm.

Thanks! Yeah we are lucky here in TX when it comes to those things you mention :D
The dried jalapeno was not hot at all, at least not for that amount of sausage so double it goes. Might cut the cayenne though just in case so to not have it more hot than I want. I want more jalapeno flavor vs heat so I have no problem cutting the cayenne. This will be a keeper recipe for sure and is very close to what I'm wanting. All our tastes are different so we will always have a round or 2 of tinkering to get it the way we like, or the way the wife likes in many people's cases :D

We'll see when I get back to some new batches.
As for ground Pastrami dogs/sandwich meat I have you covered! The link below will take you directly to the recipe but the 1st posts in the thread will have the pics.
I've got this recipe whipped into shape, you can make it in stuffed sausage form or just a big loaf for slicing sandwich meat :D
Feel free to use NDFM as a binder, I just had plenty of soy isolate I could use and used it back then. I use NDFM too and it doesn't affect my lactose intolerance at those low levels in the sausage :D

Enjoy!

That looks really good. I've had sausage from Luling, Lockhart, & Giddings that were all really good. I bet hatch chili would be a smash too. Very nice! I'd tear that up man.

Man, those look great. I could kill a pile of those
Thanks! I definitely did and will. Kind of holding out a bit for the girlfriend to get back from her work travels or else they'd be about gone already hahahha.
That looks really good. I've had sausage from Luling, Lockhart, & Giddings that were all really good. I bet hatch chili would be a smash too. Very nice! I'd tear that up man.
Thanks! I've never had the chance to visit any of those so hope they do it this way. I know that Terry Blacks (in Deep Ellum, Dallas) and Pecan Lodge (same area) don't do this type of sausage. I wish they did because I'm not wowed at all with their sausage options. They are good but they aren't this type of sausage which is miles better for so many reasons! :D

Yeah looking forward to the hatch one I do in the future :D

Reactions: texomakid
Oh wow! Thanks for the Pastrami LOAF idea. that is brilliant. I can't believe I've made a ton of "Smoked Meatloafs" and never used Pastrami spices. Great Idea and I will be doing for sure.

Oh wow! Thanks for the Pastrami LOAF idea. that is brilliant. I can't believe I've made a ton of "Smoked Meatloafs" and never used Pastrami spices. Great Idea and I will be doing for sure.
Yeah smoke this like sausage and it will be a sandwich meat hunk you can put on a slicer and boom pastrami sandwich meat! :D

Just know that if you make one big giant "loaf" it will take a good long while to get up to temp so flat vs thick and round is faster and also slices a similar shape to real pastrami :D

From what I've been reading, an ice bath after pulling off the smoker at 148, will reduce the propensity of the sausage to wrinkle.
Also, NFPDM not only binds the meat but also allows for retention of fat juices so the meat won't dry out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky