Bit the Bullet, Upgrading to 7 pound Hakka Stuffer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tallbm

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 30, 2016
Texas
So I just bit the bullet and ordered the 7 pound Hakka stuffer.
I'm upgrading from the Lem 5 pounder.

The Lem has been ok for what it is but it does not hold an actual 5 pounds (more like 4 pounds) and is slooooooooooooooooow with it's cranking up/down.

I'm hoping to do some sausage stuffing this weekend and if not maybe early next week. I got a line on pork fat and beef fat at the local grocer for $0.69/lb!!!!

I'm going to be doing this solo so I wanted to greatly increase productivity and ease of doing this alone so I felt the easier to work and definite 5 pound capacity Hakka will help with this.

My plan is to grind all the fat and bag up what I'm not going to use.
Then I plan to grind some left over brisket trimmings (port of the flat muscle I trim away) and get that bagged up if Not using it.

THEN, I plan to do a wild pork fresh chorizo test batch and probably a test batch of cured venison (with pork fat) jalapeno and cheese Texas style sausage since I also ordered some dried jalapeno.

Not this weekend but I also plan to do a green chili pork sausage too since I have a bunch of hatch chili's frozen. I can't remember who's recipe I was going to biggy back off of. chopsaw chopsaw did you have one you posted a while back? The forum search was not being kind to me earlier so will have to resort to google searches targeting this site lol :D

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to tinkering with some sausage and seeing what I come up with :D

You will enjoy that hakka. The wife upgraded me to the 10# LEM electric. That said, the little LEM 5# works just right with 2Kg of meat, just adjust your recipe away from pounds and into metric.

As far as a recipe, here is one from me that you commented on, maybe this will help. It’s outs side the box, but made to mirror green Chile gravy, I use Pueblo but Hatch works also.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/roasted-green-chile-sausage.323226/

Reactions: GatorAGR
im in for the ride and offering myself up as taste tester.

Jim
Hahahaha only if we were all near each other with our tasty food experiments :D

You will enjoy that hakka. The wife upgraded me to the 10# LEM electric. That said, the little LEM 5# works just right with 2Kg of meat, just adjust your recipe away from pounds and into metric.

As far as a recipe, here is one from me that you commented on, maybe this will help. It’s outs side the box, but made to mirror green Chile gravy, I use Pueblo but Hatch works also.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/roasted-green-chile-sausage.323226/
I think that may be the post, thanks! I convert everything to metric for sure. Jus needed a stuffer that could hold 2,270gms of meat (5 pounds) :D

I have a manual 22 pound machine but it's really a 2 person job with that machine unless I'm just bagging ground meat in 1-2 pound poly bags.
Stuffing links in the 32mm tube takes a full grown strong adult to push 20 pounds of meat down and through the tube lol.
With these being test batches I will be doing small amounts BUT I kind of had to defrost 14 pounds of ground venison and pork since they were sealed in big bags.

I might need to make this into a couple of days of goofing around and do a few other batches but initially I need to get things ground up and these 1-2 batches going.
With the grinding step out of the way and if I really think hard I can maybe do another 1-2 additional experimental batches during the week. We'll see :D

Exactly why I do 2kg batches now. 2kg fits without having to reload.
Yeah I normally do things in no less than 5 pounds but with these being experimental batches I will be doing 5 or less.
I just have to stuff pounds of ground fat into poly bags so the larger capacity Hakka should help that go more quickly and then in the future I can do 5 pound batches with it at will.
There is also a chance I run both the 7pound Hakka and the 5 pound Lem to speed things up when doing multiple sausages. No need to clean, wipe, and prep for loading a different sausage in the same stuffer if I am working 2 stuffers but that may just be crazy talk hahahha :D

Not me .
Maybe David ?
That's an interesting one as well.
Makes me want to look up the really mushy Mexican Chorizo style sausage that is made as loose sausage. Great stuff in breakfast food and beans!

Reactions: chopsaw
I love my 7lb hakka stuffer. Hold more then 5 lbs like you was saying about the lem 5 lb, it don't hold 5 lbs. I like the steal gearing on it but don't like the big elbow at the bottom where the lem doesn't have that

Reactions: DougE
There is also a chance I run both the 7pound Hakka and the 5 pound Lem to speed things up when doing multiple sausages. No need to clean, wipe, and prep for loading a different sausage in the same stuffer if I am working 2 stuffers but that may just be crazy talk hahahha :D
No need to do all that cleaning anyhow. Either shove what is in the horn out before stuffing the second, or have a hybrid sausage for the first couple.

Funny C man
I'm looking at getting a smaller stuffer. My cast iron beast at home holds pretty close to 10#, but the huge elbow makes smaller test batches a real pain.

Good luck on your newer venture.

I love my 7lb hakka stuffer. Hold more then 5 lbs like you was saying about the lem 5 lb, it don't hold 5 lbs. I like the steal gearing on it but don't like the big elbow at the bottom where the lem doesn't have that
Yeah I want the extra capacity. I don't mind the bit that is in the elbow, I just fry that up and live fat and happy with it as my treat :D

No need to do all that cleaning anyhow. Either shove what is in the horn out before stuffing the second, or have a hybrid sausage for the first couple.
Yeah I will likely just pull it out and eat it but could do hybrid sausage if it was a bigger batch. This is what I often do with my bit 22lb stuffer that has the same situation with the elbow at the bottom :D

Funny C man
I'm looking at getting a smaller stuffer. My cast iron beast at home holds pretty close to 10#, but the huge elbow makes smaller test batches a real pain.

Good luck on your newer venture.
Thanks! Yeah I will have both smaller and bigger (22 pound but holds really 20-21 pounds).
I'm glad I have both the big and small options but my big option is not really a 1 man option at all unless I put the really big tube on it for stuffing fibrous casings or 1-2 pound poly meat bags.

I like my horizontal 7 lb hakka stuffer, no elbow to deal with, empties almost completely except for what's left in the tube

Ryan

I have this same model and found that the walton's stuffer flushers (orange silicon type eggs) work extreamly well to remove the meat in the big elbow.

I like my horizontal 7 lb hakka stuffer, no elbow to deal with, empties almost completely except for what's left in the tube

Ryan
I didn't even think about the horizonal model!

Next time go electric and thank me later.
Yeah I've eyeballed the big Lem electric one that can do 20 pounds. Some day I'll shell out that arm and a leg and get one lol :D

I got the 10 pound one on sale, wasn’t that bad really.
yeah I'll have to wait for a sale time. Lem doesn't do them too often but a 20% off $899 normal price is a good chunk of savings, especially if paired with free shipping :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky