Zucchini Mustard Relish

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
Is your zucchini plant threatening to take over the world? Tired of grilled zucchini, zucchini casserole, zucchini bread, zucchini ice cream? 

We have all lived through zucchini overproduction and one of the ways we have got around it is making Zucchini Mustard Relish. This is an easy recipe that is so good we don't even buy that electric green relish in the stores anymore. It is way better on burger's and hot dogs but really takes off on a ham or beef sandwich and is the bomb on a bratwurst.

Zucchini Mustard Relish

Makes four 250 ml (1 cup) jars

-= Ingredients =-

1 liter (4 cups) zucchini ; chopped

2 onion ; chopped

125 mililiters (1/2 cup) sweet red pepper ; chopped

125 mililiters (1/2 cup) sweet green pepper ; chopped

15 mililiters (1 tbsp) coarse pickling salt 

325 mililiters (1 1/3 cups) cold water 

250 mililiters (1 cup) granulated sugar 

50 mililiters (1/4 cup) all purpose flour 

15 mililiters (1 tbsp) dry mustard 

2 mililiters (1/2 tsp) turmeric 

2 mililiters (1/2 tsp) mustard seeds 

2 mililiters (1/2 tsp) celery seed 

250 mililiters (1 cup) white vinegar 

-= Instructions =-

In a bowl, combine zucchini, onions, and red and green peppers; sprinkle with salt. Pour in 250 ml of the water; stir well. Let stand for 1 hour,stirring occasionally. Drain and rinse under cold running water, drain and press out excess moisture. In 2 litre (2 quart) glass measure, mix together sugar, flour, dry mustard, turmeric, mustard seeds and celery seeds; gradually stir in vinegar and remaining water. Add vegetables and microwave, uncovered, at High for 17 to 20 minutes or until thickened but vegetables are still crunchy, stirring 3 times. Fill and seal sterilized jars with rings and new centres. Process in boiling water for 10 minutes.

I am sorry but you Americans have to switch to the metric system, I am too old to be doing the conversions for you.

Disco

Last edited:
Wow that looks amazing! Gonna forward that one to my mom - she has the garden... lol.
Thanks JlRodriguez. Most of our friends make this now. It may kill the local relish market in the supermarkets!

If your mom will make relish for you, is she looking to adopt a fat, old, Canadian?

Disco

I'm gonna have to give this a try - thanks Disco! 
beercheer.gif

Sweet recipe, I will have to try this.

THANKS for the conversions.

I like our system of measurements. 

I left for the weekend and came home to this...

May have to give your recipe a shot! I can plug it into my Paprika recipe app on my phone and it will do the conversion for me!!!!
Har! Been there, done that! I have done the conversions in the ingredient list. Being Canadian means switching between metric, US measure and Imperial measures. I feel conflicted.

If you do try it, I'd love your opinion.

Disco

Sweet recipe, I will have to try this.

THANKS for the conversions.

I like our system of measurements. 
Har! I was upset when the Canadian government went metric. Years later, I love it. Come over to the dark side, it's not so bad.
I'm gonna have to give this a try - thanks Disco! 
beercheer.gif
Thanks, Smoking B, I'd love to hear how it turns out.

Wish I had a garden with anything other than rosemary taking over ;) I can only cook with so much rosemary. . ;) but Disco
Your relish sounds delish..... thanks for sharing the idea.

Wish I had a garden with anything other than rosemary taking over ;) I can only cook with so much rosemary. . ;) but Disco
Your relish sounds delish..... thanks for sharing the idea.
Thanks! However, I would kill to grow rosemary. It isn't hardy here on the mountain and I try and grow a bit in a pot with limited success. I used some in the last sausage I made and now the missus wants it all the time. 

I guess cooks are never happy!

Disco

Disco, evening....  Bride just started making zuc relish....   It's so much better than pickle relish.... on everything.....   

Dave

Man, you guys have got to try Beer Batter Fried Stuffed Zucchini Blossoms. I like a mushroom, garlic, oregano, parm reg and ricotta filling. Or pick them when they are the size of your little finger! They are sweet and crunchy. At this size they can be grilled, sauteed with garlic, thyme and ground coriander, made into pickles or just eaten out of hand with Onion Dip. There is no law that says they have to be 8+ inches before you pick them and the blossoms or fingerlings take up a lot lees space. For those that get away from you, my family just made 3 of the larger ones sliced into 1/4" rounds, topped with parm reg and panko, drizzled with EVOO and baked. They said they wish they had more...JJ

@Disco...That recipe sounds good...Hey Bro I am always converting Temps for all you Outlanders. Between Canadians, the Brits and all the Aussies we got around here, I get busy...
30.gif
...JJ

Last edited:
Disco, evening....  Bride just started making zuc relish....   It's so much better than pickle relish.... on everything.....   

Dave
Thanks, Dave. Nothing is better than a bride who cooks!
Man, you guys have got to try Beer Batter Fried Stuffed Zucchini Blossoms. I like a mushroom, garlic, oregano, parm reg and ricotta filling. Or pick them when they are the size of your little finger! They are sweet and crunchy. At this size they can be grilled, sauteed with garlic, thyme and ground coriander, made into pickles or just eaten out of hand with Onion Dip. There is no law that says they have to be 8+ inches before you pick them and the blossoms or fingerlings take up a lot lees space. For those that get away from you, my family just made 3 of the larger ones sliced into 1/4" rounds, topped with parm reg and panko, drizzled with EVOO and baked. They said they wish they had more...JJ

@Disco...That recipe sounds good...Hey Bro I am always converting Temps for all you Outlanders. Between Canadians, the Brits and all the Aussies we got around here, I get busy...
30.gif
...JJ
It is true, zucchini can be used for many things.

Disco

30.gif
...JJ
J nailed my exact thoughts..exactly.  My italian neighbors just brought me a plate of their battered stuffed zucc blossoms... They are to die for. You can eat them cold and they're still amazing.

I especially like to pick them when they're 8-10 inches and just grill them up. We also just did some parm chips like JJ mentioned. Very good.

Mint Zucc Salad

Another one of my favorites is sauteed zucc  (high heat, don't cook them soft, keep semi firm) in olive oil & garlic, then tossed with fresh chopped mint, white vinegar, salt & pepper - then cooled. Serve cold for appetizer or side. The mint and vinegar make the dish fantastic and a little different then the norm.

Last edited:
J nailed my exact thoughts..exactly.  My italian neighbors just brought me a plate of their battered stuffed zucc blossoms... They are to die for. You can eat them cold and they're still amazing.

I especially like to pick them when they're 8-10 inches and just grill them up. We also just did some parm chips like JJ mentioned. Very good.

Mint Zucc Salad

Another one of my favorites is sauteed zucc  (high heat, don't cook them soft, keep semi firm) in olive oil & garlic, then tossed with fresh chopped mint, white vinegar, salt & pepper - then cooled. Serve cold for appetizer or side. The mint and vinegar make the dish fantastic and a little different then the norm.
Thanks, that sounds like something I have to try!
Looks great Disco, even though I don't have any zucchini! I used to make a Hot Pepper Mustard very similar to yours, used banana peppers instead of zucchini.

Copied for the future!
Thanks, Alesia. An older neighbour lady we called "Grandma" used to make a hot pepper mustard relish. My dad was addicted to it. I thought it was poison when I was a kid but bet I'd love it now.

Disco
Pretty looking Jars there Disco!

Ya did good again!

Kat
Thanks, Kat. If we don't make 3 batches of this we don't get through the year. We love it.

Disco

Disco, I also meant to say, those jars looked amazing and I would rather put that on my brats, etc than the glow in the dark store bought stuff any day!! I'm curious to experience how that would taste so I will subscribe to your thread and take note of it for next summer! Maybe my neighbors will give me some of their zucc's and I'll get to do it this summer!

Disco, I also meant to say, those jars looked amazing and I would rather put that on my brats, etc than the glow in the dark store bought stuff any day!! I'm curious to experience how that would taste so I will subscribe to your thread and take note of it for next summer! Maybe my neighbors will give me some of their zucc's and I'll get to do it this summer!
Good luck with the neighbours. Maybe you could trade some home made Brats. I think you will enjoy it.

I made this yesterday turned out well!  Good way to use zuchini. I didn't have any celery seed  (local grocery stores out too) and used a half cup of chopped celery. I am not much for the sweet relish  (Wife and kids like it though)  I am thinking maybe today I will try another batch, but leave out the sugar.  Have you tried it without sugar?

Thanks,

Mark

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky