Yoder Smoker YS640s or new Broil King Regal or something else?!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks like an enormous mess to me?
Looks like not much room and a pain to clean

Don't know why you think that. I've never needed to clean the flavorizors on my Weber gas grill. Grease vaporizes when it hits them. All the excess grease and ash flows below into the catch pan. Seems MUCH easier to clean than a standard pellet grill.

Yoder is american made and thick steel to hold heat and recover quickly. everything is replaceable on it. cleaning is not difficult with the 2 piece diffuser.

Alot of people will tout the ''stainless'' rec tec. Nice product, but its a 430 stainless that will rust and stain. Also, just like most, their controller shows an average temp so you think it is holding temp perfectly. I think they try to wow you with looks and marketing. Just my opinion. Look around the competition circuit, there are Yoders everywhere.

This is simply not true about the Rec Tec controller. Both the controller and the app show the set temp and actual temp, not an average. Maybe you are used to a grill that fluctuates and saw a Rec Tec that held a precise temp and made that assumption but it’s false.

I looked into Yoders and although they look very nice, I live in Kentucky and they are not “everywhere”. I’ve never seen one live. So, on top of the premium price I couldn’t just pick one up and would have to pay an exorbitant shipping cost. Rec Tec shipping is included. My RT700 also has a full 6 year warranty and the best customer service going. Also incorrect about “340 SS”. Rec Tec uses 304 stainless which is much more corrosion resistant than regular steel. It’s my opinion that stainless is a superior material for this application.

I’m sure Yoders are awesome too but I wanted to just clear a couple things up. The RT700 was an easy call for me and I’m very happy with my choice.

This is simply not true about the Rec Tec controller. Both the controller and the app show the set temp and actual temp, not an average.

The RecTec does maintain accurate temps, but it definitely displays a moving average. The controller is made by Roanoke and they make similar ones for my Memphis. Nothing wrong with displaying an average - I would bet that nearly all PID controllers do.

The RecTec does maintain accurate temps, but it definitely displays a moving average. The controller is made by Roanoke and they make similar ones for my Memphis. Nothing wrong with displaying an average - I would bet that nearly all PID controllers do.
No it does not do a rolling average. The only averaging is done by the company in setting up the controller when it is being developed. Rec Tec uses 32 probes for this purpose. My grill at my house has one probe. And it shows the current temp (or what the grill thinks the actual temp is if the calibration is a bit off). It may sometimes fluctuate a degree or two during a cook at times but it lists the current temp, not an average over the cook.

They have 2 sizes I think and what smoker stays clean? seen some funky cookers on every forum I have looked at lol , at least you can crank the heat up and burn it off unlike a lot of others. We will get some reviews from real users soon . Its easy to pick on something without any evidence lol

So I was about to buy a Yoder yesterday. I drove to that shop for two hours to have a look at it first. Well, I'm really disappointed that it wasn't a s-series although I asked them specifically (because I had to drive so far)... They didn't even know the differences and tried to sell me an old model. No I don't have a Yoder but I was still impressed by that quality (funnily they had a gmg beside it).

At least I've got some time to check the new Weber but I think I'll try to look for a Yoder anyway.

To bad you had to dive so far to be disappointed. In the long run you'll be much happier. You'll get what you what and hopefully buy from an honest dealer.
Either they don't know what they're selling or don't care. Either way buyer beware.
I'm starting to hear some reviews of the new Weber and would still go with a Yoder myself.

so where are you finding reviews, haven't heard the first 1 past the show weber had? nobody has received 1 though some say have shipped , maybe there's a forum I have missed

so where are you finding reviews, haven't heard the first 1 past the show weber had? nobody has received 1 though some say have shipped , maybe there's a forum I have missed

On a couple of other forums. Actually the same person, different forums (not sure I'm allowed to mention names). The reviews are good his biggest con is no probe port.
My response comes from; so far it look like it doesn't do anything better than the Yoder, including searing. Also in my thinking, the cost difference is worth it from build standpoint. just IMHO

To be fair, he said, and I quote
" So far, I feel like Weber has really one-upped the mainstream pellet grill competition. You can get some equal or better pellet grills, but nothing I've seen at the $1000-1200 range like this. "

No it does not do a rolling average. The only averaging is done by the company in setting up the controller when it is being developed. Rec Tec uses 32 probes for this purpose. My grill at my house has one probe. And it shows the current temp (or what the grill thinks the actual temp is if the calibration is a bit off). It may sometimes fluctuate a degree or two during a cook at times but it lists the current temp, not an average over the cook.

have you verified this with an external probe placed in the cooker? It is a wood fire, and it is not counting the number of pellets dropped, and pellets are not all exactly the same size. there will be fluctuations larger than 1 degree.

have you verified this with an external probe placed in the cooker? It is a wood fire, and it is not counting the number of pellets dropped, and pellets are not all exactly the same size. there will be fluctuations larger than 1 degree.
I haven't sat and watched it to see if it fluctuates more than that but I have seen it one or two degrees from the set point. I suspect dropping a couple pellets does not change the temp more than that. My point was not that it does not ever fluctuate, all grills and convection ovens will, just that the Rec Tec does not display a rolling average, it displays the current temp. Which it holds as good as or better than anything else out there. The averaging people talk about is when they configure the controller. The way I understand it is because it is convection they place probes throughout the grill and average the temps to get the average reading throughout the whole grill and then configure the temp probe with that data. Some people use 2 or 3 or 5. Rec Tec goes to way more time and trouble. They use 32. But the temp displayed is the current temp.

And with a 40 pound capacity hopper, it will do it for a long time. That also makes it more convenient because you can always dump a whole 20 pound bag of pellets in it. With a 20 pound hopper you would have to let it run dry or pour in partial bags.

Actually if I placed an external probe it may not agree with the displayed temp because the temp will vary throughout the grill because it's convection and that probe would only display the temp at that particular point. So the displayed temp would be more useful and accurate for our purposes because it represents the temp throughout the grill. And Rec Tec does that better than anyone.

I'm not talking about agreeing with the probe, I want to know how much of temp swings there are on an external probe. Given the nature of the cookers, with an auger feed and a couple of fans, you aren't controlling the temp to within 1 degree at all times. My point is that rec tec's controller, like many others, is showing you an AVERAGE temp. Same thing your oven at home does.

I'm not talking about agreeing with the probe, I want to know how much of temp swings there are on an external probe. Given the nature of the cookers, with an auger feed and a couple of fans, you aren't controlling the temp to within 1 degree at all times. My point is that rec tec's controller, like many others, is showing you an AVERAGE temp. Same thing your oven at home does.
Describe what you mean by average? What are you thinking is averaged? Do you think it is taking temps over a period of time and averaging them?

yep. If you put a quality external probe in there, I am betting you would see swings on the order of 10 degrees or so.

I mean it isn't holding +/- 1 degree from set point at all times. You would see temp swings on an external probe. The display is just showing you a set point, not actual real-time probe temp. It isn't like its a huge deal, +/- 20 degree swings even isn't a huge deal in BBQ none of it is going to make or break your BBQ

I mean it isn't holding +/- 1 degree from set point at all times. You would see temp swings on an external probe. The display is just showing you a set point, not actual real-time probe temp. It isn't like its a huge deal, +/- 20 degree swings even isn't a huge deal in BBQ none of it is going to make or break your BBQ
The control panel does show the set point but also shows the actual temp. I asked what you meant by average because people who have Yoders and other grills that fluctuate by 20-30 degrees often think the RT does the same and shows an average over time. It does not. It shows an average over the whole area of the grill. RT's PID controller is more precise.

I appreciate your comment because it has allowed me to learn more about how it works. My Thermo Pro probe has actually fluctuated Up or down about 6 or 7 degrees in that one spot while the average temp of the whole grill has only fluctuated a couple degrees in that time.

Last edited:
You just proved my point by stating that an external probe showed temp swings that the controller did not. None of them count/weigh an exact amount of pellets. No pellets are exactly uniform. There is no way to shut the heat off. All will swing to some degree. To claim that any will hold +/-1 degree is asinine. 6 or 7 degrees is good. I only see bigger swings when using Lumberjack pellets, and even then the food turns out the same. There is a bigger temp difference between upper/lower grate, left/right than there are temp swings in any of them. Anything directly above firepot will be hotter, and usually exhaust sides run hotter too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky