Yoder Smoker YS640s or new Broil King Regal or something else?!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Pawn

Original poster
Feb 4, 2020
Hi everybody,

First of all I'm sorry for my bad English. I'm not a native but really into us bbq!

At this point I have a Napoleon gas grill and one basic Traeger Pro D2 which I both enjoy a lot. This is why I want to up my game with, my initial thought, a Yoder Smokers Ys640s. But yesterday I saw the new Broil King Pellet Smoker. I really like those cleaning features (I like it clean fast)!

Does anyone have any experience with those? Is there a pellet smoker I didn't even consider yet? I'm really look for a great product. Money is not my focus but I'm also not doing competition (just for the family).

What would you get?

Thank you very much for your time and kindness. :) This is very much appreciated!

No doubt in my mind that if cost isn’t an issue the Yoder is the best of the two. I’d also seriously consider the Rec Tec.

Thank you so much for all your answers! Interesting that no one would even consider a Broil King against a Yoder. But I like the idea that I don't have to vac clean. Well, but that shouldn't be my priority anyway.

Also I'll have a look at Rec Tec. Any model in particular I should have a look at?

Thank you so much for all your answers! Interesting that no one would even consider a Broil King against a Yoder. But I like the idea that I don't have to vac clean. Well, but that shouldn't be my priority anyway.

Also I'll have a look at Rec Tec. Any model in particular I should have a look at?
Based on the others you are looking at I’d say the RT 700. They are very popular. Quite a few folks here run them. Their customer service appears to be world class.

Okay, I will comment on the Broil King. It is your typical sheet metal pellet grill. There is a lot of competition in this market these days.

The Yoder weighs in at 335 pounds and is built like a tank. The Broil King is half that weight at 165 pounds.

The RecTec Bulls are very nice grills. They weigh in at 195 pounds and have some nice features that put them in a class far above the Broil King.

At the end of the day it is all about your budget and what you want. Nothing wrong with a more moderately priced grill if that is where you land.

By the way, not sure what you mean about vacuuming. I think they all have to be cleaned out in some form or fashion.

Okay, I will comment on the Broil King. It is your typical sheet metal pellet grill. There is a lot of competition in this market these days.

The Yoder weighs in at 335 pounds and is built like a tank. The Broil King is half that weight at 165 pounds.

The RecTec Bulls are very nice grills. They weigh in at 195 pounds and have some nice features that put them in a class far above the Broil King.

At the end of the day it is all about your budget and what you want. Nothing wrong with a more moderately priced grill if that is where you land.

By the way, not sure what you mean about vacuuming. I think they all have to be cleaned out in some form or fashion.

It looks like that I can't get a Rec Tec in my country unless I'm willing to import it from the US. :( Hearing all your voices (considering that I can't get a rec tec) I should get a Yoder, right?

Has anyone used a Broil King pellet smoker yet?

Yoder is american made and thick steel to hold heat and recover quickly. everything is replaceable on it. cleaning is not difficult with the 2 piece diffuser.

Alot of people will tout the ''stainless'' rec tec. Nice product, but its a 430 stainless that will rust and stain. Also, just like most, their controller shows an average temp so you think it is holding temp perfectly. I think they try to wow you with looks and marketing. Just my opinion. Look around the competition circuit, there are Yoders everywhere.

But I like the idea that I don't have to vac clean.

From what I understand, the ash cleanout is just for the burn pot - similar to CampChef. You still need to clean the ash out of the body, either with a vac or some other method. The ash accumulation in the burn pot of my CampChef was very low - it needed to be cleaned out about as often as the smoker body - so the cleanout feature was not very valuable.

Yoder is american made and thick steel to hold heat and recover quickly.

True, but I prefer a lighter double-wall insulated stainless over heavy steel. Heats up faster and easier to handle. Not that I would mind owning a Yoder :)
As for 430 rusting, it depends on the quality. I know someone with a 10 year old 430 Memphis Advantage that leaves it uncovered in the snow and there's not a spec of rust on it.

It looks like that I won't do anything wrong with a Yoder. I'll have a look at it this on Saturday for the first time. If we fall in love I'll get that ys640s. :D

Thanks for all you advices! Y'all are great!

Go with the Yoder. I have an older non s model (non Fireboard controller). It has preformed perfectly in the 2 years I have owned it. And as mentioned already it built like a tank.

my .02 if you already own 1 pellet smoker the food off of another will probably taste about the same, Mac has a big following you might be able to get 1 of those, lot of good choices , Weber is releasing a new unit but no real world info yet from the masses lol

Before spending Yoder or Mac type money, you gotta be happy with pellet grilled food. It's all gonna taste about the same, but come at a cost that's thousands of dollars different.

Weber is releasing a new unit but no real world info yet from the masses

Right.
If it were me, I'd hold off on purchasing a pellet grill and wait for some real reviews for the Weber. Their new grill has several innovative features that make me very interested, but need to wait to hear some real world stories.

I am very interested in seeing more detail on the Weber. Lots of tease reviews thus far but no substance.

For example, I want to see how big of a grease mess it makes in terms of being able to clean it up. A charcoal grill is somewhat self cleaning but a pellet grill not. The layout appears to be somewhat "weber gas grill like" with flavorizing bars, etc. Looks like an enormous mess to me?

Capture.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky