Yoder 640 or MAK 1 (again)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

uintafly

Original poster
Feb 6, 2018
So, I know this has been asked 100 times on 100 different sites but I am still trying to make a final decision between these 2 grills. And maybe some folks here can give me their opinions. I can buy a lightly used (2 month old) Yoder 640 with the competition cart, 2 piece diffuser and grill grates for $1,800. I would still buy the cover so I would be all in for about $1,925. It is used but is still in just about perfect shape with a manufacturing date of November, 2017 so all warranties would be in place. Or I can buy a MAK1 brand new from BigPoppas with the cover, 1 meat probe and a bag of pellets for $1,800.
Here are the pros that I like about the Yoder:
- Built like a tank
- I like having the grill grates and 2 piece diffuser. Would really make it easy to grill as well as smoke. (Though this will primarily be used to smoke)
- Bigger, though I typically cook for 4-10 people which the MAK will be just fine for
- The comp card is pretty sweek looking and convenient to move around. Not to mention having all of the shelf and storage space
- Great reputation and customer service
- For the price, I am getting a lot of extras thrown in. retail w/ shipping would be about $2,700 for everything
Cons:
- Doesn't seem to keep temps quite as well as the MAK
- Is a pellet hog. Lots of folks seem to go through up to 4 lbs/hour at 400 degrees
- No way to purchase wifi down the road like I can with the MAK

Mak1
Pros:
- It is almost impossible to find someone who doesn't love their MAK
- Seems to be built great and have great customer service
- Much more advanced and programmable controller
- Better pellet usage
- Smaller footprint on the patio

Cons:
- Basically no shelving or storage space unless I spend several hundred more dollars
- No dealers in Utah so I have to buy site unseen (though based on everything I read, this doesn't really worry me much
- No way to sear meat unless I throw down another $300 for the Flame Zone and $150 for grill grates

I think at the end of the day the MAK is probably the better quality grill, I just need to decide if a slightly better grill is worth not having all of the storage. Unless I am missing something else here? What would you do?

First i would make sure the warranty would transfer second as far as pellet use I treat this like a sports car you don’t buy one for fuel economy it holds temps within 5 degrees has tons of room. And if I had a chance to buy it for that price I’d take it warranty or not

Is one built more heavy duty over the other? Does one or the other smoke / cook the food evenly?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky