Yikes Beef May Not Be What's For Dinner!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RiversideSm0ker

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Riverside, Cal
Just an observation about how high the prices seem to have gone lately on beef here in So Cal. Top Sirloin for $5.99 a pound? Seriously? Tri Tip is the same price right now for choice. I wish I had bought more beef back in December when there were some incredible deals here on ribeye roasts for $2.99 a pound. I should have sliced a bunch into steaks. So just wondering if this is simple a So Cal tax or are the rest of you in the other parts of the country having the same kind of raised beef prices? Chicken and pork seem relatively reasonable here as a counterpoint.

G

Reactions: Will Squared
Hard to say. Prices here in CT are all over the place all the time. Just saw a Prime top sirloin roast at BJs for $7.99/lb. Seems every week I can get choice porterhouse fir $5.99 or $6.99. Yet they want $9.99 for short ribs. Tri-tip is elusive as a unicorn :( and I think pork ribs are in hibernation. I did score some boneless short ribs for $3.99/lb last week :)

Bone-in NY steak, $3.97lb, London Broil, $1.97lb. @ Safeway. T-Bones @ Fry's $4.97lb. Just have to keep on the job and strike when the iron gets hot enough. Of course those are the weekly sales prices, that the only way I ever shop for meat. I'm in Gilbert, AZ. RAY

2.99 for ribeye, I think I would of got a trailer load and drove back east and sold it, as for top sirloin 7.99 is probably the avg. price around here. think i'll move to so. cal

I suppose it's all about perspective. I guess I just have to hold out until I see a decent sale. I'm really craving tri tip and they were $3.99 a pound for trimmed last week. Just no room in the freezer after buying a pork butt and pork loin last week. The top of my freezer has become prime real estate (pun intended) of course. I'm just going to have to sacrifice and smoke a bunch of meat very soon. So is gas around $3.25 a gallon as well?

I suppose it's all about perspective. I guess I just have to hold out until I see a decent sale. I'm really craving tri tip and they were $3.99 a pound for trimmed last week. Just no room in the freezer after buying a pork butt and pork loin last week. The top of my freezer has become prime real estate (pun intended) of course. I'm just going to have to sacrifice and smoke a bunch of meat very soon. So is gas around $3.25 a gallon as well?
Gas is $1.98 at Sam's club in Tennessee where I'm at

• Wow
Based on this thread I’ve added another income supplement activity to my retirement planning!! Looks like I’ll buy a small reefer truck and make trips to the west coast :)

Trimmed TT @$3.99 I would get a trailer and load up. I am happy at $7.99 here

I guess I will have to call this the dog days of barbecue. I will make do with the decent prices on chicken and pork. Our pork butts are about $1.30 and Sam's right now. And the chicken went up to .97 cents for thighs and drumsticks. So that;s what I will be putting on my kettle and smoker for the near future. I suppose if I see tri tip again for $3.99 I will go ahead and get a couple. I'm just used to seeing them for $2.99 on sale around here. Burgers aren't too terrible at about $2.99 a pound I enjoy them immensely on my kettle. Yum the taste of burgers grilled over charcoal can not be matched. I just don't think I could ever go back to a gas grill again.

G

It's all in where you live and as said the weekly sales Food Lion this week pork butts $.99 Save a Lot
BB $1.99 but again these are the weekly sale. Nothing special right now due to no special holiday.

Warren

Last edited:
  • Wow
Been pretty bent out of shape about my local tri tips going from 5.99 to 6.99, but I still pay it.

If I look around I find regular unleaded for $2.59 a gallon for the car, Sam's has diesel for $2.89 a gallon for my truck. I don't miss California gas prices, or traffic, one little bit, tho I do miss untrimmed tritip at $2.99 a pound. What are you paying for gas and diesel these days? RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky