WSM Spatchcock chicken question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ragsbbq

Original poster
Feb 23, 2017
I'm doing 4 whole chickens on my WSM 22 for 4th of July. Is it ok to put two on top rack and two on the bottom rack? I know normally you would never put chicken on top with something underneath but wasn't sure if it would be ok to put 2 of the birds on that lower rack? Thanks in advance for the help!

I guess I could, never really thought of doing that with whole chickens! I've always done them laying down, so I was kind of hoping to do that again. Just not sure of that drippings from the top chickens down to the bottom ones.

You going to have a Coke with those 4 whole chickens? Joking aside, since it's the same meat, I don't see a problem. You can always move top to bottom, bottom to top to even out the cook.

Glad you found your answer. I still think you should give hanging them a shot someday. I cook on a Hunsaker drum which is similar to the WSM. Just yesterday I cut a chicken in half and hung it. Went for about an hour and fifteen minutes at around 330-350. Very juicy bird and if needed I could have fit about 18 more chicken halves in there. Here a pic of a recent chicken cook

61731902_2320721471320694_1030354257649336320_n.jpg

Reactions: DrewJ
I smoke spatched chickens all the time one on top of the other and never had one problem. If you have the space in your wsm then go for it. Target temp to smoke at around 300-325 so you get some good skin. Here’s a couple in my smoke vault.
upload_2019-7-2_0-10-19.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky