WSM Smoked Turkey

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by nepas, Dec 22, 2012.

1. nepas

nepas Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Got a small 16 lb in the WSM for a park staff member. She said the smoked turkey you made for the T-Giving get together was really good.

Asked how much i will charge, said just replenish my charcoal usage.

Rubbed down with John Henry's Pecan.

Put half a hand full of apple/cherry wood small chunks on the coals (sorry forgot that pic)

I let the coals get white before i put the top on the WSM.

Smokin

2. nepas

nepas Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Getting smoky happy.

3. Looking good!

~Martin

4. roller

roller Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Yep !

5. nepas

One down and one to go.

6. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I'm not familiar with using a WSM, but have just started exploring the use of my new mini-wsm. I would like to know more about how you get the charcoal going as it appears that you don't use the Minion method. You said you let the coals get all white then close it up. Is that when you put the chips on too?

7. nepas

I use a charcoal chimney over a burner or my long handle torch for starting. I let the bottom coal get white hot, add some on top then the wood before i close the rest of the WSM on it, if you add the wood and dont put the top on right away the wood just flames up.

I get better results my way rather than the Minion which is a PITA

8. dirtsailor2003

Yeah I wasn't happy with the results I had the other day when I fired up my mini-wsm. I think I'll fabricate a charcoal ring box, ring to contain the charcoal and give your method a try. Do you use dry wood or soaked wood? I typically use dry.

9. nepas

I use dry wood, wet wood gives off to much moisture and a weird taste.

I have another turkey to do on monday so i will show my 2 lighting methods.

10. dirtsailor2003

Thank you!

11. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looks beautiful Rick.

12. Wow!
    Looks great!

~Martin

13. dbsmokeman

dbsmokeman Newbie

DID YOU FILL THE WATER BOWL?  IT LOOKS LIKE YOU JUST FOILED IT.  THANKS DB

14. nepas

No water, just foiled the bowl for easy cleaning.

15. nepas

Here are the 2 ways i light my charcoal.

Charcoal chimney burner.

And when i need to light it fast

This is the charcoal left from yesterdays smoke. I will put the torch to it tomorrow and use it.

Getting the WSM prepped for tomorrows turkey #2

16. tennsmoker

tennsmoker Smoking Fanatic

17. nepas

18. Great idea's, never though of the torch or the side burner for getting the coals going. 

Been using one too many zip cubes...

19. giff

giff Newbie

Question. Does anyone use a turkey sitter when smoking on WSM?