WSM cold weather

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bk21

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 15, 2013
Iron Range
How does the wsm hold temps in cold weather? I live in northern Minnesota where our temps will hover around 0 in the winter wondering how it does in these conditions? I'm buying one either way, just curious.

It'll fair just fine but use a little more fuel.   If i remember this weekend i'll PM you a solution that'll cost you about $15 and your smoker will think it's in summer time. 

Though cold wx does affect slightly more fuel usage, the larger enemy is wind.  It seems like wind sucks the heat right out of the cooker and it burns through charcoal like nobody's business.

I've used mine as low as 10* before.  Wind is your enemy but there are a lot of ways to block it.  Other than that, you may see a little faster fuel burn in keeping the temps up in that 0* weather, but I don't think it will be a huge difference.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm really not ready for this winter crap!

#2 of 12
2 days ago
FWIsmoker
It'll fair just fine but use a little more fuel. If i remember this weekend i'll PM you a solution that'll cost you about $15 and your smoker will think it's in summer time.

I'm in central IL and foresee similar problems would you mind PM fix remedy as well?

I thought i could find this picture i saw for you but i couldn't....but it is  pretty simple.     At Lowes/Home Depot they have these insulate sheets that are 4x8, some have reflecix and others don't.  IIRC one sheet is only like 6 or 7 dollars (the reflectix ones like 12 dollars )and it would only take 2 sheets.  Cut out 4 sides big enough to fit around the smoker to have some dead air space...maybe 30" x 36" or appx.   fit them together in a box shape and tape vertically along the edges to hold them together with good foil tape or duct tape.  Notch out some air inlets on the bottom of each side so air can draft in. 

You don't have to worry about the insulation melting because it wouldn't be touching the smoker, lay something heavier over the top (offset it so exhaust can escape)  to hold it down in place...i suggest cutting a piece of durarock.  

You could make something similar out of wood...the most important thing is to have dead air space and go all the way around the smoker and have a top to let exhaust out.    

Keeping wind off the smoker is the most important thing but if you can get a box around it that would be even better. 

i have a 22" WSM, just bought a 6x8 welders blanket for 25 bucks at Tractor supply, can buy online. Will reply how it works with pics.

I've read about people using 55 gallon plastic drums with the top and bottoms cut out as wind shields for their WSM's. I plan on giving that a try. Figure i could use that as a wind shield for my deep fryer as well when needed.

I thought i could find this picture i saw for you but i couldn't....but it is  pretty simple.     At Lowes/Home Depot they have these insulate sheets that are 4x8, some have reflecix and others don't.  IIRC one sheet is only like 6 or 7 dollars (the reflectix ones like 12 dollars )and it would only take 2 sheets.  Cut out 4 sides big enough to fit around the smoker to have some dead air space...maybe 30" x 36" or appx.   fit them together in a box shape and tape vertically along the edges to hold them together with good foil tape or duct tape.  Notch out some air inlets on the bottom of each side so air can draft in. 

You don't have to worry about the insulation melting because it wouldn't be touching the smoker, lay something heavier over the top (offset it so exhaust can escape)  to hold it down in place...i suggest cutting a piece of durarock.  

You could make something similar out of wood...the most important thing is to have dead air space and go all the way around the smoker and have a top to let exhaust out.    

Keeping wind off the smoker is the most important thing but if you can get a box around it that would be even better. 
Been there done this

The first turkey I ever smoked was in a crappy Meco charcoal smoker. It was 17°f and blowing 25mph. I fashioned a box out of 4" thick foil backed rigid insulation. tape three sides together with duct tape, taped on a top. Foil to the inside about two inch clearance all the way around. The fourth panel I didn't tape so I could remove it to access the smoker. Left it short by about 4" so I could have a 2" air gap at the top and bottom. Faced that side away from the wind. Worked great and  the turkey turned out fantastic! When I was done I untapped it and stacked the panels up in the garage. Used them for quite a few smokes until I got rid of that smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky