WSM adding more charcoal

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokymcsmokster

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 14, 2014
im a newbie, and I've gotten around 8 hour smokes but what if i need to go to 12 or 14 hours? how do i refuel? 

Needed: gloves, charcoal, chimney, long tongs, wood chunks.

I fire up the chimney with as much charcoal as I feel I need to refuel.  I don't let it ash over completely, just get it hot so flame is coming out of the top of the chimney.  You can add cold briquettes or lump, but I don't.  Leave the WSM intact. 

Put on gloves (Very Important).  Open the door, then tilt it back in the opening at about a 30-45 degree angle resting on the bottom of the opening.  Dump the hot charcoal right on the door and let it act as a chute.  Use the tongs to move the hot coals where needed.  Add the wood with the tongs. Close the door.

Practice once with a cold smoker and cold charcoal to avoid "issues."  It is easy.

Thanks! Why am I suppose to open the door when taking the barrel off. Am I suppose to take off the lid when I add wood?

Leave the barrel and lid on.  Just open the door and chute the hot charcoal.  Then use the long tongs to add the wood through the open door.  Secure door and head back to the couch.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky