WS-1510ELPM set-up help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

FreshGround

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 13, 2022
I have my new Auber ws-1510elpm pid and I'm having a little trouble figuring out the set-up.

What I've managed to do, so far, is to plug in the sensor and enter a program of 250* and 120 minutes that I will use for the initial burn-in of my new Masterbuilt analog smoker. I understand how to program the 6 step cooking profile.

What perplexes me is the system parameter stuff. These are the ones you get to with the 166 access code. They say that the default is set up for sous vide cooking, but I will be using it to control my smoker. But they really don't say much about the changes that should be made to the default settings for controlling a smoker. I also don't really understand what the auto tune is all about. Do I need to do this?

Next are the parameters that use the 155 access code. Other than having the mode set to PID, I don't know if I have to mess with these, and if so, what to set them at.

Next are the parameters that use the 188 access code. These seem to be alarm parameters. Do I just leave them at the default values?

I think I get how to save and recall recipes, and I think I get how to get into and out of Single-Step mode.

And finally, since I'm in N. America the default settings of b for the Digital filter function should be fine, yes?

Thanks for any advice or guidance anyone can give me. I have a feeling that once I get this parameter stuff and auto tune, if I need to do that, set up this will actually be pretty easy to use, but I need to get over these initial hurdles.

Out of ther box it's P7, I 150, D 600. Write it down and try other settings. This setting and autotune was terrible so sharing helps a lot. I have a Mes 40 and like P1, I 0, D 0 for brisket, ribs and butts at 275. But fish and sausage ramping up from 120 or whatever at P3, I 0 D 0 or Chopsaws P7, I 208, D 210 on code 166. On the Mes 40, Chopsaw'sI above is great at P1, I 208, D 210. I went to the code at the end of the manual and set it for single mode so no minutes to enter. I use my own timer to tell me to ramp etc.

Don't remember what I have my settings at, it's been too long since I used mine, have more smokers to use now! But I never did the auto tune on it, using it in masterbuilt 30 analog and could keep temps within a couple degrees. Think it was tallbm tallbm that told me to read the directions standing on my head drinking a beer and they made more sense! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

Great info Kurt . You have a lot of knowledge on the set up of these .
I don't save any profiles , but I do have it set up for 4 steps when doing sausage . Dry cycle , then it steps twice for smoke , then steps one more time for cook temp .
So , I leave the last 3 settings as they are for time and temp .
I adjust the time and temp of the first setting depending on what I'm doing . So if I use it to do a pork butt I'll set it at 250 and just crank the time up .
Then if I want to do sausage I just reset the first temp to 120 for 2 hours . That way the rest are already set and I don't have to change them .

This is the main reason I am putting off installing mine. I am little worried over the settings. I hope since mine is the wifi I can just use my phone until I learn it.

Reactions: FreshGround
I have my new Auber ws-1510elpm pid and I'm having a little trouble figuring out the set-up.

What I've managed to do, so far, is to plug in the sensor and enter a program of 250* and 120 minutes that I will use for the initial burn-in of my new Masterbuilt analog smoker. I understand how to program the 6 step cooking profile.

What perplexes me is the system parameter stuff. These are the ones you get to with the 166 access code. They say that the default is set up for sous vide cooking, but I will be using it to control my smoker. But they really don't say much about the changes that should be made to the default settings for controlling a smoker. I also don't really understand what the auto tune is all about. Do I need to do this?

Next are the parameters that use the 155 access code. Other than having the mode set to PID, I don't know if I have to mess with these, and if so, what to set them at.

Next are the parameters that use the 188 access code. These seem to be alarm parameters. Do I just leave them at the default values?

I think I get how to save and recall recipes, and I think I get how to get into and out of Single-Step mode.

And finally, since I'm in N. America the default settings of b for the Digital filter function should be fine, yes?

Thanks for any advice or guidance anyone can give me. I have a feeling that once I get this parameter stuff and auto tune, if I need to do that, set up this will actually be pretty easy to use, but I need to get over these initial hurdles.
Hi there and welcome!

You should only have to change the 166 settings. These control how your Auber will ramp up temp without trying to overshoot too much on initial heat up, hold temp tightly, and recover from temp loss when the door is opened.

I think chopsaw chopsaw 's values P=7, I=208, and D=210 should work. If the smoker is a little slow to heat up initially then a stronger P=5 or an even stronger P=3 will fix that. Just know that as you lower P, the overshoot on initial heat up will get bigger. Not really an issue for most though.

All other settings besides 166 can be left as is. Simple!

Lets know if this works for you and congrats on upgrading to a PID controller. Once you punch in those settings you should never have to worry about them again :)

This is the main reason I am putting off installing mine. I am little worried over the settings. I hope since mine is the wifi I can just use my phone until I learn it.
I believe the wifi version lets you set these super easily. That's what has been reported. In any case, once you set values that give you the acceptable performance you want, you will never have to mess with them again :)

Just know that as you lower P, the overshoot on initial heat up will get bigger.
Here's where the value of I comes into play and the fine tuning starts . I understand most aren't worried about it , but the ability is there . Lowering the value of I will increase the heat up time without over running set temp .

Edit : I need to rephrase this . Lowering I will increase the effect of P , speeding up the time to set temp . Makes P more aggressive .

Last edited:
I think I am starting to understand a little. Ironically, since I started out thinking about a Smokin-it #1 before switching to the Masterbuild analog, the most understandable discussion I found, until I came back here, was on the Auber forum on the Smokin-it website.

My plan now is to run an autotune and see how the values compare to some of those given there and here. It's a new smoker, so does it matter if I do the burn-in/seasoning before or after the autotune? For the autotune I plan to use a foil pan with landscaping rocks and ice water as my 'meat'.

Thanks to all for your advice. It's not nearly as daunting as it was initially.

Reactions: zwiller
Do your burn in with the stock controller .
For the autotune I plan to use a foil pan with landscaping rocks and ice water as my 'meat'.
Do as you wish , but I'm not one for setting these up under load .
Why ?
Because how many times do you put cold meat in your smoker before turning it on ?
For me that answer would be never .
I have a method for doing this that works if people follow it .

Reactions: tallbm
S*** got real tonight. Wiring was a breeze, THANKS tallbm tallbm for the writeup!!! Connecting wifi another story. 2.4G required and have 5G. I NEVER have the latest or greatest internet stuff so kinda bummed. On the plus side 325F... Will report back.

20220930_175424_resized.jpg

20220930_181218_resized.jpg

Reactions: chopsaw
You should have 2.4 if you have 5g . 2.4 was before 5g. Should just be a setting .
You run that at 325 you're gonna have a fire at some point .

Reactions: tallbm and zwiller
I don't understand the half of it what it is capable of. I set the temp, and change manually when my timer tells me. But the temperature set point remains quite steady. Love it !

Reactions: tallbm and zwiller
Just killed it. Ran like 2hrs and last hour ended up seeing EXACTLY 325F for an hour. WOW. That's impressive.

I felt cabinet a few places and top got a little warm in one place but not anything that scared me. 325F for like 45m will get my chicken breasts done and crispy skin. No plans to run anything else that high and I am well aware of the risks. Insert disclaimer here LOL.

Wifi I will figure out. Have an older router but hope I don't have to play with it router setup each run. I am SUPER impressed with the build quality and info online so think once I get her dialed in I will be fine. Worst case I keep the old router plugged in.

Do your burn in with the stock controller .

Do as you wish , but I'm not one for setting these up under load .
Why ?
Because how many times do you put cold meat in your smoker before turning it on ?
For me that answer would be never .
I have a method for doing this that works if people follow it .
OK, I 'm not sure if I am following. Are you saying not to do the autotune at all and use someone's values or to do the autotune but without any kind of load or a different load inside of it.

If you could point to a thread that describes your method that works it would be great. I went back over your messages in this thread and didn't see it?

I have no illusions about my knowledge or abilities in this and I'm not trying to challenge or argue with anyone, particularly not with folks like you and tallbm tallbm who have tons of experience and have been generous about sharing your knowledge. I appreciate all the good knowledge I've gleaned as I've been taking these first steps on my smoking journey.

As far as my plan, which by no means is set in stone, I didn't come up with the notion of the autotune with a load myself, I read it in messages on the Smokin-it board. But I have an open mind and am just here to learn. So if there's a better way I'd like to know about it.

Thanks for your help and your patience.
Rich

Reactions: denny and tallbm
Are you saying not to do the autotune at all and use someone's values or to do the autotune but without any kind of load or a different load inside of it.
Auto tune didn't work for me , but try it and see what you think .
You can try someone's numbers , but you have an analog smoker right ? Without insulation your numbers will probably different .
I don't agree with setting up under load , but that doesn't mean I'm right .
To me it makes more sense to dial it in empty , and here's why .
Like I said above I don't put cold meat in before I turn it on , and I don't cook the same thing every time .

So set it up in a constant condition . Up to temp , maintaining temp and recovery .
That way when a cold mass is added it will react to the difference and seek to become constant again . If that makes sense .

Thing is this . We have smokers that can have a 30 degree temp swing in either direction from the factory . So setting it up in on / off and staying within 10 degrees of set temp is way better than stock .
I just decided to get mine dialed in . It's easy to chase settings on these , but it's just as easy to dial them in if you start the process at the beginning and work through the settings . Up to temp = P . Control over / under run =I . Recovery =D .
Start off set in an on / off condition . That might be how you like it .

I'll look for the link to the thread I posted the set up method in .

F FreshGround Good info in this thread . Starts as a question about an Inkbird controller , but there's some Auber info as well .
I talk about how I set mine up in post 9 . Understanding what the letters control and what the values mean and how to increase / decrease the action is key .

I think chopsaw chopsaw 's values P=7, I=208, and D=210 should work. If the smoker is a little slow to heat up initially then a stronger P=5 or an even stronger P=3 will fix that. Just know that as you lower P, the overshoot on initial heat up will get bigger. Not really an issue for most though.

All other settings besides 166 can be left as is. Simple!

Bookmarked this! Along with your simple rewire setting up an Auber should be easy. At this point I may not wait for the stock controller to die and just do it.

S*** got real tonight. Wiring was a breeze, THANKS tallbm tallbm for the writeup!!! Connecting wifi another story. 2.4G required and have 5G. I NEVER have the latest or greatest internet stuff so kinda bummed. On the plus side 325F... Will report back.

View attachment 644771

View attachment 644772
Nice that you bit the bullet and set it all up. Not to bad aye?! :D

Just killed it. Ran like 2hrs and last hour ended up seeing EXACTLY 325F for an hour. WOW. That's impressive.

I felt cabinet a few places and top got a little warm in one place but not anything that scared me. 325F for like 45m will get my chicken breasts done and crispy skin. No plans to run anything else that high and I am well aware of the risks. Insert disclaimer here LOL.

Wifi I will figure out. Have an older router but hope I don't have to play with it router setup each run. I am SUPER impressed with the build quality and info online so think once I get her dialed in I will be fine. Worst case I keep the old router plugged in.
I have mine rigged so I can run 325F for poultry cooks and I don't go over 4 hours. Mine holds dead on and my PID temp probe is always under the center of the lowest smoker rack so the PID can react the fastest. No reaching 325F at the top of the smoker just bottom to around the lowest rack. This should keep you from burning up any insulation in getting higher than you think it is at any spot in the smoker.

Also chopsaw chopsaw is correct on the router. Maybe yours doesnt do both 2.4 and 5.0 at the same time or something squirrely like that or one of the bands is shut off in the router page settings. No idea lol.

OK, I 'm not sure if I am following. Are you saying not to do the autotune at all and use someone's values or to do the autotune but without any kind of load or a different load inside of it.

If you could point to a thread that describes your method that works it would be great. I went back over your messages in this thread and didn't see it?

I have no illusions about my knowledge or abilities in this and I'm not trying to challenge or argue with anyone, particularly not with folks like you and tallbm tallbm who have tons of experience and have been generous about sharing your knowledge. I appreciate all the good knowledge I've gleaned as I've been taking these first steps on my smoking journey.

As far as my plan, which by no means is set in stone, I didn't come up with the notion of the autotune with a load myself, I read it in messages on the Smokin-it board. But I have an open mind and am just here to learn. So if there's a better way I'd like to know about it.

Thanks for your help and your patience.
Rich
No matter which way you go you won't hurt anything.
Feel free to autotune and see what you get. Feel free to season before or during autotune. Autotune takes a while so it will likely run long enough to complete a seasoning anyhow.

Being an analog there may need to be some tinkering but chops settings and/or an autotune will tell you a lot once you turn it on and try something like a pork butt. Do a big long smoke so you have time to tune if needed and then you will be dialed in for good :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky