Would you be mad if I served you these ribs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BaxtersBBQ

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 5, 2020
I’m looking to offer a lower cost option for ribs. Not everybody can afford to spend $20/$30 for a half or whole rack. I plan on offering this as a Meat and 3 lunch special. Seasoned, smoked and lightly sauced. Served with Mac n cheese, beans and probably cornbread for $8 or $9.

I’ve cut spare rib racks into 2” to 3” sections. This way they fit in the takeout box better. You get a big scoop probably 6 or 7 pieces per lunch box.

I was told by a friend that people would be mad about getting small ribs. What do you guys think?
CBBF3F13-C56C-4A73-8771-0D2B2B5FFFD5.jpeg

83885B97-87C9-434C-9E4B-9D0A43ABD127.jpeg

I think it’s kind of cool. For a price of 8-9 bucks I’d definitely buy it. To avoid frustration just don’t call them ribs. I’d call them rib bites or something like that. It could be a nice app or kids menu item as well.

I appreciate it. I’ll have to call them spare ribs or rib bites or riblets and have a picture posted on the menu so people know what they’re getting

If you called them riblets, rib bites or mini ribs I wouldn't be upset at all. As long as folks know what they are getting I'm sure they would respond similarly

Reactions: chopsaw
As long as you are clear with what you are selling and name it appropriately I think people will be OK. Even better if you can have a picture with it.

I am no expert but most times when I am frustrated as a customer it is because I feel I did not get what I paid for, or the seller misrepresented what I bought. As long as you are clear with your customers I think they will be happy.

I’m looking to offer a lower cost option for ribs. Not everybody can afford to spend $20/$30 for a half or whole rack. I plan on offering this as a Meat and 3 lunch special. Seasoned, smoked and lightly sauced. Served with Mac n cheese, beans and probably cornbread for $8 or $9.

I’ve cut spare rib racks into 2” to 3” sections. This way they fit in the takeout box better. You get a big scoop probably 6 or 7 pieces per lunch box.

I was told by a friend that people would be mad about getting small ribs. What do you guys think?View attachment 521856
View attachment 521858
I think what you have done is very innovative and they look tasty as hell!

Like the others have mentioned a good name should solve the problems people would think about getting something other than full sized ribs.

Personally I would avoid "Riblets" because Applebees used to or sometime sells something with the same name that never has any meat on them. I have a horrible association of good pork ribs to the term "Riblets" because of how crappy their so called riblets are.

You have a great marketing opportunity here and a good name would be great.

Names like:

• Mini Ribs
  • Ribbies (baby sized ribs)
  • Ribbites (bite sized ribs)
  • Rib Nuggets (nugget sized ribs bone and all)
  • etc.
Great idea and presentation man! :D

Does your standard price of $20/half-rack also include sides or is that a stand alone price?

I've been to a few places that sell rib tips, but those were hit and miss with the crowd, they were better in the bar as a happy hour appetizer usually with some waffle fries or fried dill slices. I have been to 2 or 3 places that had STL ribs cut in half on a bandsaw and they called them 'ribbers' or 'rib fingers' or some snazzy name. And if a half-rack of normal size ribs was $16, the 'ribbers' would be $8 or $9, but .... each place had the option to pair them with a second meat, like a hot link, or 1/4 pound of turkey for another $2. And this add-on price only applied to the ribbers. This was actually a pretty attractive deal, like a mini BBQ platter kind of thing.

You could always run a special a few days a week to test out your idea, but if you price your version too low, it will be hard to raise the prices later.

Last edited:
I like the idea of bite size/finger size ribs.

You could create a simple appetizer/small dinner. Plate: nacho chips/homemade potato chips/waffle fries, etc., slight cover of smoked BBQ sauce (sauce of choice) and a dipping cup, with a side serving (4oz) salsa type pepper/vegetable and call them BBQ Ribchips or something like that.

Pair with one of your signature draft/craft beers or beverages as an LTO. I would order that with a draft. I know my son and grandsons would get us run out of the restaurant with their uptake! LOL!🍻
John

Reactions: bauchjw
They look great, but "low carb ribs" served with mac and cheese and beans makes absolutely zero sense.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky