Would this be safe - Beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clifish

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 25, 2019
Long Island, NY
I have a London broil that is vac packed and is frozen (was bought unfrozen). Would it be OK for me to defrost, throw a couple hours of smoke on it maybe to 110 deg. Then vac pack and refreeze for a later cook to usable temps? or maybe smoke frozen to a lower temp.

Can't see why not. Im no food safe expert but your temps are low and its only a couple hrs. Ive smoked steaks for a few hrs and had to abort, tossed them in the freezer for later, no issues there.

Corey

Reactions: clifish
Would it be OK for me to defrost, throw a couple hours of smoke on it maybe to 110 deg. Then vac pack and refreeze for a later cook to usable temps?
Yes sir, it absolutely is safe to do that. No issues at all as long as the meat is kept in the safe zone while defrosted....or you do not puncture it before the outside of the meat hits 140......or you have it off the smoker and back into the fridge/freezer in 4 hours or less.

Robert

Reactions: clifish
Yes, you can thaw and refreeze one time (see pinned thread in Food Safety Forum and all other pinned.) Smoke's acidity inhibits spoilage bacteria, yeasts, molds, and fungus. Salt an intact steak for a two hour cold smoke to refreeze again will be fine especially when thawing in the fridge 12 hours so the outside gets a little soft and cold smoke. Smoke will be drawn to the cold meat surface while the center is still frozen.

Reactions: MJB05615
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky