Worst traveling BBQ stories + bonus for flying chickens

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

unlgrad2002

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 2, 2014
Liberty, MO
I hate flying. So much so that when I had to be in Chicago for a trade show I took Amtrak from Kansas City. Next years show is in Vegas, so I'll have to suck it up and get on a plane. All that said, it reminded me of one of the last time I flew which was in college. We flew from Omaha to Phoenix, ultimately to Vegas. At Sky Harobor we had a 3 hour layover. The (bowling) team had lunch in the airport and when I asked for BBQ sauce to go with fries they gave me a packet of Heinz 57. At the time I had only nasty things to say, but looking back it's pretty funny. Got me to wondering...

1) what's your worst traveling BBQ experience - you're yearning for a piece of home and someone epically fails

and

2) any suggestions for dealing with flight anxiety that doesn't involve drinking a 12 pack or taking ambien before boarding?

I cannot help you with your flying problem and being in Oklahoma I am not sure I have ever run into any BAD BBQ. But that said I have had to chew for a long time on several pieces that I have had at various places around the state, one in Woodward, OK comes to mind though I don't remember the name of the joint and it was 20 years ago. The disappointment still lingers.

When I saw your header I thought I had run into the flying chicken story I was told and the teller swore it was the truth (of course he never let the truth get in the way of a good story).

The story goes like this.

A number of years ago a  trucker stopped at a truck stop out in New Mexico (or was it Arizona) and ordered half a roasted chicken. When he got it and looked at it, it was not cooked and was cold. He was supposed to have grabbed it and threw it at the opening into the kitchen, Yelling Fly You S$B You ain't hurt that bad. The teller of the story swore that he was there when it happened. This is the same guy that told me he once ran over a mountain lion, I laughed, till he showed me the tail.

To dovetail off the chicken story, it seems that the Packers' Jared Cook recently picked up a to-go order from BWW in Green Bay. Much to his surprise when he opened the box of wings, he got a bonus: a partially cooked chicken head. Gave his wife plenty of fuel for her vegetarian cause.

Wonder if he had to pay extra for that....

Wow, a day after posting this and rereading the title I realize I chose my words poorly. Note to self, don't mix wine and beer. Thanks for the laugh!

I used to travel 10 to 14 days per month, flying back east from California, then driving daily to different destinations in the region.  I ALWAYS ate BBQ on the road at least one day on the trip, more if I could stumble across decent places.  Before I learned to smoke meat myself I always ate BBQ with sauce.  Once, in Memphis, I ate at a BBQ joint that was a little hole in the wall not far from my hotel.  It was recommended by the front desk.  They had several different types of BBQ sauce, but really pushed the mustard based version.  I actually like the mustard version on pulled pork so that's what I ordered.  I basically was served pulled pork tossed with yellow mustard.  It was inedible.  Thankfully they allowed me to change it for a red sauce. 

Now, as far as flying, I have 2249 Navy jet flight hours, 281 aircraft carrier landings, 79 at night, and I HATE flying commercial!  As I've gotten older I've developed claustrophobia.  There's so little room in coach these days my anxiety goes through the roof.  It isn't the flying, its the lack of space.  Flying first class upgrades is tolerable, but coach?  Gives me the willies.  I cannot fly without taking a Lorazepam.  Lasts for 6 hours and no anxiety as long as I get an aisle seat. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky