Wooden spoons

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Would love to know what tools you have . Most of my stuff was my Granpa's . Some of it from the 40's

Table saw, router table, drill press, barrel and belt sanders, band saw, scroll saw and I am sure many other things that I don't even know what they are. When he retired he was making wine racks, chests for the end of a bed and many other things. He did the woodworking and my mother would hand paint them along with wine glasses/low balls etc.. and they sold them (well really did not make money as they just wanted people to enjoy them).

When we built our house in PA near them at the end of 2019 he was going to make me a matching wine rack to the house decor but his copd and congestive heart failure set in and he was no longer able to do the physical work much less be around the dust. At least he is still with us and I can get some guidance on tool use.

Hey Rich, It's great to see your spoons. I always enjoy these looks at your shop and projects.

You've been busy. I see that you have a pattern for the "top down" silhouette of your spoon. I make those patterns as well and also pattern the "side view" profile.

I cut the side profile, on the bandsaw, first and then the top down.

Your picture of the spoon in the vice and gouge looks real familiar.

Really like the look of the laminated spoon and you've inspired me to get a chunk of walnut, which I haven't used yet.

I have made a Cherry spoon and the colors look great when freshly oiled but tend to get washed out if used in liquids. It will come back with re-oiling, of coarse.

Keep up the great work, Rich. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Reactions: chopsaw
I see that you have a pattern for the "top down" silhouette of your spoon.
Originally it was supposed to serve as a pattern . I use carpet tape to fix it to the roughed out shape . Then use a pattern bit to get it to final shape . When the bit went into the grain it tore that side off . That's how the first one turned into a scoop . I put the bad side up and glued a couple pieces on .
I have made a Cherry spoon and the colors look great when freshly oiled but tend to get washed out if used in liquids.
Yup . I like to let them sit by a sunny window for awhile before using . Really darkens them up . I have a set of store bought that I used as a template . Need to keep the oiled up . I was wondering if your ever used salad bowel oil ?

Reactions: one eyed jack
Wicked cool Rich. That's some fine craftsmanship

Point for sure
Chris

Rich, those are fantastic! You've really got some skills. I literally have little to no wood working skills, sadly. That makes your work all the more impressive. That grain on the darker spoon is very nice. Great work.

Originally it was supposed to serve as a pattern . I use carpet tape to fix it to the roughed out shape . Then use a pattern bit to get it to final shape . When the bit went into the grain it tore that side off . That's how the first one turned into a scoop . I put the bad side up and glued a couple pieces on .

Yup . I like to let them sit by a sunny window for awhile before using . Really darkens them up . I have a set of store bought that I used as a template . Need to keep the oiled up . I was wondering if your ever used salad bowel oil ?

I gotcha on the pattern bit. Even climb cutting that's a tough rout with the curves of the bowl, (end grain). I never thought to try pattern routing spoons although I've done a ton of it on other projects.

I remember your mentioning that the first spoon suffered some damage that led to laminating. You know the old saying; "A good carpenter / woodworker, is one who knows how to cover up his mistakes". I think I first heard that on my first house carpentry job 50 some years ago. Soon found out it was true, too.

I have never used salad bowl oil but need to. From the beginning I have used Mineral oil, The stuff Grandma used to use as a laxative. It works well as a lubricant when I wet sand the spoons. (I wet sand to 220 grit).

I recently got a jar of "Howards Wax it all" food grade wax, which adds a little sheen to the finish. Kind of a satin semi gloss, not a "wet look". I presume that the wax may slow liquids washing out the oil, but I haven't experimented with it yet.

Nice looking spoons/scoops Rich. :emoji_thumbsup:
I read the thread title and immediately thought of my mom busting the store bought wooden spoons on my ass as a kid*.:emoji_scream:
A broken spoon meant a temporary reprieve, the broken spoons would be quickly replaced - next day.
* I deserved it

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky