Wood tar question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

musepic

Original poster
Jul 5, 2013
Dallas, Tx
My smoker has a bit tar build up. Few questions. Do I need to get rid of it? If so how? I smoked some sausage and the tar got on the meat. This may be a dumb question, but does that make the meat indelible or am I ok to eat it?

I have a good idea of what's going on but share some more info of your setup so we can give you some solutions.

What kind of smoker?

Soaking chips or not?

Pics of the smoker while it's smoking...if you have some

Does the smoker have a good convection?  

Hello,
It's a Brinkman Trailmaster with offset firebox. I'm using coals and small logs with no soaking. Should I avoid eating the sausage that has tar marks on it?

Well I originally thought it was grill marks but then I saw the thin wispy hairs of the tar hanging from the sausage.

Next question would be is your exhaust fully open?

Also are you burning your wood down to coals before cooking?   Is your wood pretty well cured?

I start off with natural charcoal and then add the logs once they turn white. I open and close the exhaust to help regulate temp. I use a thermo at the grilling surface. The wood I use is from academy (in bags). Not sure how cured it is.

I start off with natural charcoal and then add the logs once they turn white. I open and close the exhaust to help regulate temp. I use a thermo at the grilling surface. The wood I use is from academy (in bags). Not sure how cured it is.
Open and close your intake to regulate your temp NOT your exhaust, that's the big problem that's causing your creosote...Keep your exhaust fully open.

Smoke needs to kiss your meat and not engulf it...the ONLY time you should mess with your exhaust vent is in bad weather (which is hard to grill in anyway) and when you go to shut down your pit.   

Give that a shot when you're smoking next time and let us know how it goes.   Keith

I don't know how small the small logs are that you're using but you'll probably want to let them burn down a tad before introducing food to the pit. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky