Wood pellets or wood chips?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kelton93

Original poster
Dec 10, 2016
Buhl Idaho
Hello I have a question as to wood and flavor. Do you get the flavor out of wood pellets the same as wood chips? What do competition guys use? Looking for info on if I should lean more to my green mountain or smoke hollow with smoke daddy smoke generator.

It depends on your setup, some setups will only use one or the other.

If you use pellets, make sure you are getting 100% of the wood you choose.

Some pellets have filler wood in them.

Competition guys use wood splits.

Al

Pellet smokers are being used in, and are winning comps. I like my pellet smoker. East to use and puts out great Q.

http://www.amazenproducts.com/ has some great pellets that do not use fillers

www.cookinpellets.com also has some great pellets that do not use fillers.

Both have multiple types, to include a great blended option such as "Pitmasters Choice" or  "Perfect Mix"  that works well for most cooking needs on a pellet smoker. These are blends of Cherry, Hickory, Maple and or Hickory, Cherry, Hard Maple & Apple, neither have alder or oak fillers.

Many brands such as BBQ Delight and others do a 60/40 split. where as its only approximately 40% of the flavored wood (apple, cherry, hickory, etc), then the rest is Oak.

For pellet smokers, most here include the use of A-MAZE-N-TUBE-SMOKER(AMNTS) or A-MAZE-N-PELLET-SMOKER(AMNPS) to produce the smoke wanted for flavor. Pellet smokers often put out little smoke, especially when cooking at heats above 225 or so.

Even those thast use MES will put in use the A-MAZE-N-PELLET-SMOKER(AMNPS) to get the smoke they want.

Good luck with your hunt.

Some do modify there pellet smokers for the smoke daddy.
I use a maz n tube in my pellet smoker. I get a great smoke profile using the tube and lumberjack 100% hickory pellets.

This I just put together. Love a vertical smoker but didn't like the propane so got a traeger box and I already had the smoke daddy on it. I like how this traeger produces more smoke than my green mountain. So should be fun to use.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky