Wood for smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

viper12161

Original poster
Aug 30, 2018
Good afternoon all!!

I have a Chargriller Duo that I have the offset smoker attachment for. When I smoke, I primarily use charcoal and wood chunks. I got a cord of oak a year or 2 ago for our fireplace which ended up having a crack and was leaking fumes into the house. So no more fireplace....however I still have a cord of wood just sitting there. It is on a rack and covered. Curious if I can use this to smoke instead of the charcoal? I know it can be done, but from what I have read, it seems like it's done in the bigger smokers, mine is not that big. Figuring as long as I use smaller logs that fit in the burn chamber, I would be ok. Was thinking of smoking an 8lb pork butt. I generally use my electric smoker since it takes so long and costs waaay too much in charcoal. BUt if I can use the wood, I'll give it a whirl. Any thoughts form the pros?

Thanks!!!!

Reactions: JC in GB
Yep have at it, you might not do much electric smoking afterwards until you run out of wood lol

Reactions: JC in GB
Using wood will work. Just make sure you are maintaining a good bed of coals when using wood splits.

The less mass of the wood pieces, they faster they will light and burn. You don't want a big lump-o-log smoldering on top of a dying ember bed.

Oak is a good choice for smoking and is preferred in some geographical areas over other wood.

Learning to maintain your firebox at the proper temp will be your biggest challenge doing this IMHO.

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Thanks for the info everyone!! Yeah, maintaining the firebox temp is going to be a challenge. I always big temp spike when I add in the chunks over the hot coals so wondering how it will be putting a big log on instead. Maybe I'll do a test run on an empty grill and see how it goes. Hate to ruin a big piece of meat while I am experimenting

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky