Wonky on Firefox

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zwiller

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 16, 2016
Sandusky, OH
I am running into a pretty persistent issue with browsing here with Firefox. Seems to stall out and tie up the processor. I have to kill the process to get my machine moving. Only thing I notice (not a IT guy) is that I see often times the site is showing unsecure site but other times secure. Just a heads up.

Hi Sam!
I run Firefox as my browser as well.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/connection-settings-firefox
Not an IT dude either. But on the www since before Al Gore invented it.
Sometimes tuning your settings can help. The variables include other things specific to your computer. So, for example, my settings probably would not necessarily work for your computer.
When fine tuning your browser, do it slowly. Make a tuning change, try it for a few minutes or days, then change it back if it doesn't help.
When you hit onto ones that do seem to help, leave them. Eventually you will find the ones that behave for you and your web travels.

A few other things you might explore are AdBlock. https://getadblock.com/
This specifically works well with Firefox. I was getting VERY aggravated with ads when farting around on the web. Not anymore.
Now I have some sites asking me to turn it off for their site. Maybe I will, but usually I don't.
I go places for the Meat and Potatoes. Maybe I don't want their gravy on my time there?

Another Firefox add on I like is Dashlane https://www.dashlane.com/firefox-install
It can remember log in's for sites. As long as your computer is yours, or if you don't care about others who might use your PC (No security issues, ie: Jackass Nephew's, stray dogs, etc.). I like it because it can help me get in places faster. Or not, if I choose to not let it run loose on some sites, Say bank sites...

Anyway, hope some of that helps.

I was longtime Firefox user and finally had to abandon it due to constant issues on multiple sites. I always liked it better than Chrome but just got tired of monkeying with settings every time websites did upgrades.

The hijack banner ads on this site are bad, bad, bad as well.

Wishing the admins best of luck in solving that problem.

I solved it myself with AdBlock.
Now sites ask me to allow their ads.
I don't. :p

Now... if I could get those damned Google Ad's off my Android phone that crop up like floating turds in a sewer plant, I'd be a happy man again. Every time I plug it in, ads I have no intention of looking at or going to crop up.
I sometimes shut my phone completely off to charge it. But if I'm counting on it for an alarm, I just put it face down and let the ads stare at the doily on the night stand.

I use to use Thunderbird, and Mad Dog 20-20 for a cheap party....
A long time ago....
In a galaxy far, far away now....

Attachments

• 1000261_1395932837300251_950191890_n.jpg
    1000261_1395932837300251_950191890_n.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 6
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky