Wonder Dog Ranch Fowl Sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hillbillyrkstr

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 11, 2013
Well after harvesting a bunch of waterfowl with Team Wonder Dog at the end of last year and the beginning of this hunting season I decided to make some sticks.

I have zero experience making sticks of any sort. Plenty of brats made in the past but no sticks and no use of cure.

I went to my buddies (the local deer processor) and used his pro grade equipment, stick seasoning, and cure. I ground up all the fowl and some pork butt (I used the butt to cut the sticks with) one day and vacu sealed it all. I left it at his place and with help from another friend the next day we mixed it all up with jalapeños, some habo powder, and high temp pepper jack cheese.

38 pounds of raw sticks.

All the meat was ground on Tuesday and mixed and stuffed on Wednesday. Then brought over to kingfishcam's barn to smoke on Saturday.

Team Wonder Dog's Scout with a few geese.

Team Wonder Dog's Hooper the Wonder Dog with a few mallards.

All the sticks hanging in cams smoker.

The smoke took longer than expected. I believe we had them smoking almost 11 hours. We started at 120 with no smoke for a few hours and then gradually moved the temp up every few hours 20 degrees and added smoke. Our highest temp was around 180. A lot of the sticks reached our desired temp of 150ish but some of the sticks were low. Mid 130s. We decided to pull them anyway. Didn't want to over cook the ones that were done.

Finished product back in the tub.

A few days later I vacu sealed all the sticks and froze them.

First bite of the fowl sticks. Came out pretty good for not having a recipe or really knowing what I was doing at all.

Thanks to kingfishcam for spending his Saturday smoking these sticks with me.

Until the next Team Wonder Dog smoking adventure we'll be waiting, and watching the local ponds and fields looking for our next retrieve!

Reactions: crazymoon
HBR, Your sticks look great! 
points.gif

Thanks crazy moon. They came out good for just winging it. I'd make them again. Probably gonna make some venison sticks once rifle season hits.

Great job.   You sure you never made these before?

Lol. I'm sure cfarmer. But I'll be making plenty more as hunting seasons come and go. It was a good experience.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky