Winterpeg Manisnowba

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sean the Nailer

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 9, 2023
Greetings ya'll,
I'm new here, though I've been on the mailing list for Jeff's stuff and recipes for a lot of years.
I started cold-smoking with my father back in the early 80's. (I was the lackey back then) Now, I know that I have SO much to learn.

I also know what I don't know.

Which brings me to THIS forum, because of the fact that I'm in Canuckistania and the gov't has to do our thinking for us, not-to-mention the fact that they must protect us from ourselves.... so we ain't got no easy access to "Pink Salt #1" and such. We have to use ReadyCure.

So I'm searching. I'll search a lot more, before I start posting the question that is first and foremost in my mind. Arrrg.

Sean

Welcome from a close neighbor (170 miles south), well in the summer. Add another 1,800 miles these days
From quick search, Ready Cure is 1% nitrite.
Pink Salt #1 is 6.25% nitrite

Welcome from a close neighbor (170 miles south), well in the summer. Add another 1,800 miles these days
From quick search, Ready Cure is 1% nitrite.
Pink Salt #1 is 6.25% nitrite
Yessir, you're absolutely correct on the ReadyCure being 1%.
I'm still gleaning through the archives of a gazillion posts regarding "this is right" and "no, that is wrong, it's like this" followed up with "you don't know what you're talking about, #1 and #2 are interchangeable" which is then followed with "OHH no they ain't".

Then from there, is the pythagorean theorem trying to figure out just how much of that 1% ReadyCure I need to use, for a 3.2 kg (7.4 lb) Brisket Flat.

It is far simpler, faster, easier, and more productive trying to understand women, than it is this "Canada needs to be different" crap.

(did I say that out loud?)

Still searching, but if you want to chime in with a cheat-sheet I'd be HUGELY appreciative.

And as for the site, WOW, I'm hugely impressed and still only scratching the surface. Wish I'd found this YEARS ago!

Reactions: JLeonard
"you don't know what you're talking about, #1 and #2 are interchangeable"
I'm not going to delve into your Ready Cure dilemma because I know nothing about it. I will however tell you in no uncertain terms that #1 and #2 are NOT interchangeable. They are totally different and for different curing processes.

Robert

Welcome from Tennessee. Lots of people here to help out with your question. I'd suggest starting a new thread so they will see it

Winnipeg guy here too. I just buy the instacure, #1, prague powder or what ever you want to call it from amazon.

Last edited:
I had started a thread in the 'Food Preserving' forum after even more searching. It is called the "De-Coder Ring".

I've been trying to use/add a bit of humour through this process. Mostly due to the fact that it really shouldn't be a topic at all. We're all humans, we all love and adore bacon, so who/why/how does someone need to go and mess with something that works? Same/same for pastrami and corned-beef. (my current quest)

Maybe some of my attempts didn't come across as funny, I don't know. I just never figured it would be this hard to 'try'.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky