winter brisket!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hi Nate,

Just spent a few minutes looking around the site and realized everyone starts their own thread for an individual cook, sorry I jumped in on yours, I'll start my own. I'll follow along today as well. I thought you were starting a thread about cooking brisket in winter...silly me. :emoji_blush:

Have a great day!

Cheers
no worries! takes more than a little thread hijack to get me all riled up, especially when i'm just hangging out n babysitting a fire!

1st check - 3 1/2 hours in... internal temp is 115, so, moving right along! i expect i'll hit the stall around 4pm, and as long as that doesn't last more than 12 hours or so, i should be good to go. i like the way this is looking, and the fat is starting to soften up nicely. pulled the trimmings to finish rendering on the stove - those big pans were pushing my hotspot closer to the point than i was comfortable with.
IMG_0308.JPG

OK... missed my guess on that one. 8pm and the fat finally got squishy. wrapped and back in the pit it goes! for... another 10 hours?it's going to be a long night. i may bump the temps to 250, because when i re-inserted my probe, it's reading 146 (!). spot checks with an instant read were 173-158.
IMG_0309.JPG

Reactions: kilohertz
well... that went well. catnaps until 5am when internal temps hit 193*F then straight into the cooler. sorry, was too tired to get pics of that. turned out perfect! see for yourself - behold my meteorite!
IMG_0311.JPG
IMG_0312.JPG
IMG_0313.JPG

IMG_0314.JPG

and, let's not forget the sides that everyone brought! potato salad, green rice (that i also made), macaroni salad, with latecomers bringing green bean casserole, white fluffy dessert, brownies, cheesecake (latecomers also not pictured)
IMG_0315.JPG

great afternoon with good food n good company!

WoW! Looks great, lots of color and some great sides. What's your address again? ha ha

Great job.

Cheers
well ... there are only 3 slices left of the 18 lb packer i cooked... those would be gone by the time you got here. will have to wait until the next one - probably in the spring. hey - if you do come by bring some of your leftovers! that looked great!

Reactions: kilohertz
Nicely done. Did you end up raising the temp. or just let it roll at 225*F?
i did - i tried to keep it around 250 but a couple reloads it spiked up to 280... but at that point it was 4am and i was like "this thing has stalled at 190 for 3 hours now i'm just going to let it roll", and an hour later when i woke up it was ready to pull. i now understand what folks mean when they talk about the second stall. thought that was a myth tbh.

and ... this is personal preference btw... i dry brined this one, which is the first time i've done that. i really like that - there's less chance to get it too salty (previously i did 1:1 salt n pepper and it tasted salty to me). my rub was 3 parts black pepper, 1 part granulated onion, 1 part granulated garlic. that was a good flavor, but i think i prefer just salt n pepper... i think the next one i do will be dry brined and only black pepper for the rub. also, lessons learned, i had to slather the thing with yellow mustard to get the rub to stick after the dry brine since the outer layer was dry to the touch. it did not change the flavor of the bark at all, which made me happy.

Reactions: indaswamp
Looks great to me. Nicely done

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky