winter brisket!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

netspyder

Meat Mopper
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 18, 2022
Collinsville, IL
i realize i've been delinquent in my taking of the pictures of the smoked meats. SO, in an effort to remedy that - here's this. i'm doing a brisket this weekend... maybe 2, if i get 3 more confirmations by tomorrow. you'd think that an 18-lb brisket would feed everybody - right? anybody in the st louis, mo area is welcome to come by and enjoy great food and good company (if you want to come by and meet n greet message me for the address). trimmed this guy up and am dry brining it until saturday when i start cooking. planning 24 hours for the cook, and 6 hours rest time. used the knife my parents got me for christmas - highly recommend it!
IMG_0303.JPG
IMG_0304.JPG

IMO grilling/smoking is a year round activity! i smoked pastrami the day it snowed here.
IMG_0272.JPG

Wish I was closer to St Louis! Brisket looks great. What kind of knife do you have?
it's a dalstrong boning knife. i had asked for a victorinox but i guess stock ran out, so i got the more expensive one. it's the one in the pics. i was skeptical of the sharp angles on the handle, but it fits in the hand nicely and the edges make it easy to hold onto when your hands are mucked up. i like it enough that i picked up a brisket knife to match.

Man i'd almost make the drive from Memphis for some brisket. But alas, I have honey do's to get done and ribs thawing as we speak. Planning a rib and meatloaf cook for Sunday.

Look forward to the finish.

Jim

IMO grilling/smoking is a year round activity! i smoked pastrami the day it snowed here.
1673677967464.png

Ha! Holy crap, you call that snow? This, is snow. Christmas day brisket, my first one. (well it was just a flat).

Doing another one tomorrow, SmokinAl's way in a pan with beef broth. I'll post pics tomorrow.

Cheers

Christmas brisket.jpeg

Winter Deck smoker.jpg

IMG_3783.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: BillyDoster
meat is on the smoker! clearly i need smaller pans for my fat and water, but you work with what you have on hand, right? my goal is 1pm tomorrow... which gives me 27 1/2 hours to cook and rest. i've not actually managed to hit a goal time on brisket yet, so i've added more time than i think i'll need. if i have to, i'll drop it in the oven at its lowest setting - 170f - and let it kinda hold there for a while.
IMG_0306.JPG

Meat is on, 8AM. Planning dinner tonight about 8 as well, we'll see. I usually start out on the "smoke" setting (PB820) for an hour or so while the meat is cold, then I'll bump it to 225-250. I just installed a new controller and temp probe from PB and it should solve my intermittent incorrect temps I was seeing.

I also built an Arduino controller with wifi and have 2 temp probes on it, one meat, one smoker, here is the link so you can follow along today. Oh Joy! :emoji_laughing::emoji_sleeping:

Kilohertz Smoker Temps

Cheers

Jan 14th brisket.jpeg

Reactions: netspyder
Brisket can be a tricky one to time....what temp. are you smoking the brisket at? Hot and fast or lo and slow?
low and slow! 225 all the way home. or, therabouts. swung up to 260 at one point already but didn't hold there for long. right now the pit seems to have settled at 220, so i'll leave it there for a while, until it's time to take the fat out here in an hour or two.

Hi Nate,

Just spent a few minutes looking around the site and realized everyone starts their own thread for an individual cook, sorry I jumped in on yours, I'll start my own. I'll follow along today as well. I thought you were starting a thread about cooking brisket in winter...silly me. :emoji_blush:

Have a great day!

Cheers

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky