Wing question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Yazoomark

Original poster
Aug 1, 2018
Hey guys, I always smoke and then deep fry my wings. The problem I am running into is, in order to get crispy skin in my deep fryer, the meat starts to separate from the bone and they don't look the best. I am frying between 350-375 for about 4 minutes. Normally I smoke them and pretty much immediately drop them in the fryer once they have an IT of 160 in the smoker. So here is my question, should I smoke them and then let them sit uncovered in the fridge overnight so they dry out a little bit before dropping them in the fryer?
Thanks,
Mark

Others might have different opinion, but I think I would take to say 140 to 145 then finish the cook in deep fryer. I think you are getting way over cooked. I am on a quest to be able to create a wing that is crisp but not deep fried. Haven't tried in smoker yet. I am gonna go the baking powder route and see how it goes.

Others might have different opinion, but I think I would take to say 140 to 145 then finish the cook in deep fryer. I think you are getting way over cooked. I am on a quest to be able to create a wing that is crisp but not deep fried. Haven't tried in smoker yet. I am gonna go the baking powder route and see how it goes.
I'm on the same quest, lol. Just got some good advice from jcam222 jcam222 an Mychops Mychops .

This weekend I'm using my charcoal smoker at 275-300'. Drying wings in fridge overnight uncovered prior to smoking. Using a light dusting of Baking Powder before applying the Rub. Cook to IT of 165'. Hoping that will do it.

I just gave this answer in another thread, we don’t fry them because the oil costs so much & we don’t do much deep frying, but this is how we do them.
I just coat them with EVOO, & dust with Montreal chicken seasoning, then smoke them at 225 for about an hour and 20 minutes, or until the wings pull apart real easily ( I do mine whole). Then onto a 600-700 degree gas grill for a couple of minutes on each side, (gotta keep a close eye on them cause at that temp they can burn easily). When they get the color I’m looking for I take them off and toss them in a bowl with Franks buffalo wing sauce & melted butter, about equal parts.
That’s real game day food!
Al

the way I get the skin crisp is I smoke them to 160 it @ 250. remove then and crank up the smoker to 400. when it hits temp put them back on for 3 mins a side they will crisp up nice. I am sure other people here have other ways and will be letting you know so you can do the one that you prefer.
I do basically the same thing.
Always turn out great.
I would never do wings any other way now since I've started smoking them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jersey Jimbo
This weekend I'm using my charcoal smoker at 275-300'. Drying wings in fridge overnight uncovered prior to smoking. Using a light dusting of Baking Powder before applying the Rub. Cook to IT of 165'. Hoping that will do it.

Thanks for posting this Mike. I was actually just sitting here thinking about how I was going to do mine. Heard of the baking powder method but never tried it. Wife has been on me about deep frying chit so full smoke for me this go around.

Try corn starch instead of baking powder. I do a great deep fried fish, secret is cold, cold fish, dry and roll in corn starch, dip in beer batter, deep fry. Works pretty good for wings too.

RG

Dang there is some super bowl telepathy going on here bc i have my wangs thawing and was trying to come up with a game plan!

Reactions: Mychops
I am on a quest to be able to create a wing that is crisp but not deep fried.

Vortex on a Weber kettle, perfect every time. Did these last night. RAY
DSCN2751.JPG

Perfect Ray! You're the Vortex King! I'm amazed at what you've done with that. I wish I knew of things like that a few years ago before I got involved in my current setups. I really enjoy your posts, they always make me hungry.

I'm on the same quest, lol. Just got some good advice from jcam222 jcam222 an Mychops Mychops .

Wings can stand going up to 170-175

Did not know that, thanks. That will allow more cook time in the higher heat for more crispier skin.

Perfect Ray! You're the Vortex King! I'm amazed at what you've done with that. I wish I knew of things like that a few years ago before I got involved in my current setups. I really enjoy your posts, they always make me hungry.

Thanks Mike. With the Vortex and SnS there's just about nothing that can't be smoked on Weber kettle beside maybe a large packer brisket, it's become to most valuable tool in the box. Sometimes I think about getting rid of my SQ36 stick burner in favor of just getting a 26" Weber, then I stop thniking. RAY

Last edited:
73saint said:
What about marinades or brines? I see a lot of drying the wing pre smoke, which I’ve definitely got to do. Should I brine first?

I'm not sure Saint. I soaked the wings I did last in beer night for 24 hours, dried them in the fridge, made absolutely no difference in flavor that I could detect. RAY

What about marinades or brines? I see a lot of drying the wing pre smoke, which I’ve definitely got to do. Should I brine first?

I'm not sure Saint. I soaked the wings I did last in beer night for 24 hours, dried them in the fridge, made absolutely no difference in flavor that I could detect. RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky