Wing question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
What about marinades or brines? I see a lot of drying the wing pre smoke, which I’ve definitely got to do. Should I brine first?
Drying the wings helps the skin crisp up. As long as there is moisture on the wing, they are getting steamed.
Brining doesn't do much given the fat content of wings. I've seen folks inject before, but I really don't have the patience.

Reactions: Mychops and 73saint
You could try a pickle brine. This is what Chick-Fil-A uses. I have done in past. Dont want to brine over night just a few hours. Here is an example, not wings but principal is same.

Additionally this article talks about baking powder etc.

Reactions: Mychops and 73saint
similar to what others have said ... I dry the wings in the fridge overnight, mix some corn starch in with my rub, smoke at 250 to IT around 155*, finish in 450* oven to desired crispness. I prefer just dry rub ... usually sauce just for family/friends.

Vortex on a Weber kettle, perfect every time. Did these last night. RAY
View attachment 483478
Hey Ray ... do you use wood with the charcoal? Got a friend a vortex, and thinking of letting her try on my BGE, but seems the charcoal will burn so hot will just have a wood chunk burn too fast/hot and billowing(?) Maybe wrap in a foil packet, or use a small smoker box up on the grate?

Hey guys, I always smoke and then deep fry my wings. The problem I am running into is, in order to get crispy skin in my deep fryer, the meat starts to separate from the bone and they don't look the best. I am frying between 350-375 for about 4 minutes. Normally I smoke them and pretty much immediately drop them in the fryer once they have an IT of 160 in the smoker. So here is my question, should I smoke them and then let them sit uncovered in the fridge overnight so they dry out a little bit before dropping them in the fryer?
Thanks,
Mark

Hey Mark ran across this.. might give you some ideas

Reactions: Yazoomark
Wings can stand going up to 170-175

And even higher, like 180. But I never measure; just go by looks.
I prep by drying in fridge for 8+ hours with 1 t baking powder 3/4 t salt per lb. Indirect heat at 375-400F for 40 minutes to brown and render fat, sometimes with smoke wood. They absorb smoke readily so you don't need a long smoke time. Then directly over coals for a couple of minutes with constant turning. Let them cool slightly before tossing with sauce or the sauce might steam (i.e., soften) them. I'm doing a batch for Super Bowl too.

Half base bbq rub and pepper garlic. Into the refer to air dry until tomorrow. I’ll pull them out when I fire up the offset and sprinkle more rub on them. Garlic ones will be tossed into a butter garlic parm sauce. Left batch will be unsauced.

Attachments

• 02B52E5D-954F-4862-9CCA-5C2146A2FDAB.jpeg
    02B52E5D-954F-4862-9CCA-5C2146A2FDAB.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 7
Looks good so far. I did mine today, rained all day so I use my MES instead of the Charcoal Smoker. Used a very small amount of Baking powder before the SPG and dry in fridge overnight. Came out a little crispier than usual. Took a lot longer to get IT up to 165. So I'll finish in the Air fryer tomorrow for 10 minutes. Next time I'll add equal parts Corn Starch and Baking Powder right into the SPG rub. Then do exactly the same thing and see if more crisp. No pics as I was worried about the rain + rain snow sleet mix most of the afternoon.

Reactions: Mychops
Try corn starch instead of baking powder. I do a great deep fried fish, secret is cold, cold fish, dry and roll in corn starch, dip in beer batter, deep fry. Works pretty good for wings too.

RG

If you're deep frying, then yes. But I think most of the folks that use baking powder are dry cooking them. Baking powder raises the pH which helps the skin brown and crisp up.

Reactions: 73saint
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky