Will an Amaze-tube combust.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fxsales1959

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 17, 2019
PembrokePines, FL
So I got an amaze tube, primarily for extra smoke when I do pork belly for bacon in myMES30. It seem to work well in the electric as I followed instructions and laid it on the bottom grate horizontally. I was up with the chickens to get the bacon done in time to fire up the Kamado to do a rack of St. Louis. For the ribs I used my kamado with my typical volcano pile of lump. I have not had issues with this new rig as I setthe vents and it ranged 250 to 275 pretty religiously. I added two chunks of hickory and one of Apple and I put the full tube on an angle up on the outside pile of the lump.. Everything was percolating pretty good right about 245to 2 65. About an hour in is When the beer nap happened. . I always have a grate level probe to the InkBird, alarm at 275.. . Some time later in the Mrs. showed up from an unnecessary spending spree at the mall. She kicked me and said you got all kinds of shit going off on the patio. Boom 331degrees.. I know combustion can seriously alter the inside temperature of a cooking chamber, so I was wondering if there’s a chance that tube could have combusted.. i’m doing a Deckle tomorrow so I think I’ll leave the tube on the cooking grate and not in the fire chamber. Saved the ribs…
thanks for input

Last edited:
Reactions: kruizer
The tube puts out a lot of heat by itself. I can put it in my MES40 and even though it's the only thing with heat going on, my pork bellies will start sweating after several hours.

Lol at your wife's reaction. Just to be clear are you saying you placed the tube directly on top of lump charcoal? Lit charcoal?

I had a bad fire in my MES30 with it. Not knowing better put it on the heat shield above the element and caught fire which caught foil pan with grease on fire. Pulled pan out and spilled. Now grease fire all over patio. Amazing only had minor burns!

Lol at your wife's reaction. Just to be clear are you saying you placed the tube directly on top of lump charcoal? Lit charcoal?
lit the lump, the placed the tube on an incline up the outside of the pile of lump hoping it would smolder as the fire burned ouwards.

I had a bad fire in my MES30 with it. Not knowing better put it on the heat shield above the element and caught fire which caught foil pan with grease on fire. Pulled pan out and spilled. Now grease fire all over patio. Amazing only had minor burns!
glad yoyu didn't get burnt bad. i did something similar with a tin foil pan.

The tube won't combust, but what's in it will.
Not sure why you'd have a tube in there in the first place....
Couple chunks of hickory wasn’t cutting it on a5 hrsmoke. Was on Kamado not using offset stick burner. With a diffusing stone is a pain in the ass to take off everything just to add chunks in the middle of a cook.(lazy)

Couple chunks of hickory wasn’t cutting it on a5 hrsmoke. Was on Kamado not using offset stick burner. With a diffusing stone is a pain in the ass to take off everything just to add chunks in the middle of a cook.(lazy)
Gotcha. I'm not at all familiar with Kamado style grills. Just curious...

The Amazing Smokers were not designed for Super High Heat:
The first ones, the "AMNS" were designed for MES units & other electric smokers that couldn't get good smoke on their own. They were just for using Dust, and a lot of guys used them just in a cardboard box. They had a tendency to jump across rows & burn out completely, if the heat was above about 220°.

Then guys put Pellets in them, and they would jump across rows, so Todd Johnson designed the AMNPS, with the double interior walls, to stop the Jumping across rows. These worked great, but at High Altitude there was a problem with getting enough "Air-Flow" to keep the AMNPS going. So Todd developed the "AMNTS" Tube Smoker. The Tube is best for High Altitude, and low air-flow smokers, and puts out enough smoke for Larger Smokers.

None of the Amazing Smokers, made with Stainless Steel should burn in anybody's smoker, but the Dust & Pellets could ignite & Flame itself up & out, if placed too close to a heating element or hot coals or flames.

Bear

I've had mine ignite before. Too close to the air intake vent which was wide open . Didn't hurt anything it was under a stainless steel shelf to protect it and the heat source is above it and food higher up above heat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky