Wild ride for a Tri-tip and a couple meatloafs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dr rat

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 27, 2011
Wanted a Tri-tip for dinner so I figured I do a quick tri-tip and why not throw a couple meatloafs on too. meatloaf sandwiches for the next couple days quick and easy so I thought.
Took the cover off the smoker and had to kill a couple of black widow spiders that took up residence. Prep all went fine salted for a couple hours and then rub on Tri-tip and basic beef meatloaf.
Smokers going and put everything on and 45 minutes later noticed smoker was off (pellet smoker). So I started it up again seemed OK until I noticed it was on fire so I took the meat off took it all apart and I hadn’t cleaned the ash out in a while so I had a fire in the fire box of extra pellets all over the bottom. Smashed my thumb and burnt my hand cleaning that out.

Attachments

• BE5DDA88-05BC-484B-9559-C9AF0BC859AF.jpeg
    BE5DDA88-05BC-484B-9559-C9AF0BC859AF.jpeg
    222.9 KB · Views: 12
  • A9227457-090E-462C-9B7B-87B835F32184.jpeg
    A9227457-090E-462C-9B7B-87B835F32184.jpeg
    203.2 KB · Views: 11
  • C4572A42-0059-4D9C-AFCD-BD30661F277C.jpeg
    C4572A42-0059-4D9C-AFCD-BD30661F277C.jpeg
    198.8 KB · Views: 11
So got that all cleaned up and got everything on and going Well about 30 minutes later blew out the outside plug I’ve used for years out so no power again. Wife is now pissed that she had the sides going to be ready for certain time And meat will not be ready.

Ran another cord from another plug to it just to get it done and going so after 4+ hours finally finished. I realize smoking even with the difficulties is still better than doing a lot of other things.
I didn’t put bacon on the meatloaf or a bacon weave as I kind of like the crust on the meatloaf
C05A6D41-A3B5-4BF9-8E9A-9DBDC6B9FCD2.jpeg

Sorry for the rant and long post but had to vent and wife didn’t want to hear it.
31B2D6C7-470E-43C1-BF51-814F90E63FEB.jpeg

That's the way it can go with somethings and its definitely not the way we plan. Glad you made a recovery.

Warren

Last edited:
Bummer, that you had all those problems.
I kinda like my TT a bit more rare, but I’m sure yours was awesome for you & your wife. The meatloaf looks killer. Nicely done!!
Al

Reactions: negolien
Thanks all guess it wasn’t as bad as it seemed but with rain it seemed worse

Bummer, that you had all those problems.
I kinda like my TT a bit more rare, but I’m sure yours was awesome for you & your wife. The meatloaf looks killer. Nicely done!!
Al

Thanks Al, The Tri-tip was over for me too but the wife Is a founding member of the burnt meat club ( she still thought it wasn’t done enough lol)

Last edited:
  • Haha
It all looks good to me also. Overcome and conquer is this smokers motto

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky