Wild boar

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

highlander888

Original poster
Oct 12, 2015
I just got some wild boar meat. I thought it would be a Boston butt style cut. Turns out to be some baseball size chunks. I got it soaking in ice water now for this weekend. I'm thinking reverse sear. Any other ideas. I'm worried about it being to gamey with the reverse sear.

Reverse searing wouldn't change the gamey taste, it is either there or it isn't. If the meat was properly handled and butchered it should not be overly gamey.

How are you planning on cooking it? Smoking at 225 then searing? The hogs down here in Florida have zero fat on them so I have never tried to smoke a roast off one. I only ever braise them or grind them for sausage. 

Reverse searing wouldn't change the gamey taste, it is either there or it isn't. If the meat was properly handled and butchered it should not be overly gamey.

How are you planning on cooking it? Smoking at 225 then searing? The hogs down here in Florida have zero fat on them so I have never tried to smoke a roast off one. I only ever braise them or grind them for sausage. 

Yeah, smoking about 275 then reverse searing. It is pretty lean. There sort of like a steak almost.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky