Why the Towel?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sven Svensson

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 5, 2021
Sonoma County, California
I've been smoking meat for years and I've been doing what I've been told to do, mostly. That includes, for example, taking your foiled butt or shoulder out of the smoker, wrapping it in an old towel, and putting it in your cooler to rest for a number of hours. My question is, why is the cooler not sufficient alone? Why the need for the towel if one's cooler is efficient? Does it slow the cooling process as a preference or necessity for some reason, as in, there's a not-so-obvious scientific reason for it? Does an efficient cooler give you the same results? Am I doing this simply because back when coolers were made of wood (as my daughters would say) that's what they did and it's been passed down with no challenge? I know these might be simplistic questions and the answer obvious to most but I'm asking anyway. For a friend...

Reactions: bauchjw
I believe it is to fill the gap of air between the meat and the cooler. I would wrap with enough towels to fill that gap. If you wrap with 1 towel and still have a gap I don't think it is as efficient. The heat would just escape to fill the cooler and the cooler would then hold the heat.

At least with a towel you keep more of the heat around the meat even if it is just 1 towel and a gap.

Personally I tightly double wrap in foil and then wrap in 3 bath towels and lay on the table or counter and that does the trick just fine for me every time :)

I agree that a towel is adding more insulation. I tend to put wadded up newspaper in the bottom just in case a foiled butt should leak, and a towel on top. At a charity event one year a guy next to me was cooking ribs and he either had a heating pad or electric blanket in the top of his cooler.

On a related side note. Remove the towels and leave the cooler lid open for a while after you take your meat out.......opened up my cooler on my last cook to put a butt in. Never took out the old towels from previous cook.......smelled like an old fart in there
I bleach my cooler on a regular basis. Maybe an excuse to get a Yeti

Reactions: Sven Svensson
On a related side note. Remove the towels and leave the cooler lid open for a while after you take your meat out.......opened up my cooler on my last cook to put a butt in. Never took out the old towels from previous cook.......smelled like an old fart in there
Yes sir been there....and probably will again:emoji_anguished: .
We drink a lot of bottled water and I save the cardboard bottoms from Dasani and use as cooler liners.

Keith

Yep, the towels add insulation.

I'd venture to say that most of us have opened up the Q cooler and found a moldy, stinky mess of towels down in there a time or three.

Last edited:
I've never thought about it either but my thought would be the towels keep more direct warmth around the meat so all the heat doesn't just go straight to the top of the cooler?

This is spot-on. It also slows the cooling process to allow for better distribution of the juices in the meat.

Never took out the old towels from previous cook.......smelled like an old fart in there

Who told you what I smell like?? At least my daughters call me an old fart, but what the Hell do they know :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Lol I’ve done this a couple times! It can get quite rank if a little (or lot of) juice spilled on them

Yep I Clorox wipe my coolers after use as well. Sometimes you get busy and forget things though. But really it was just a "it's only funny because it's true" thing

Not here.
IMHO--There are very few things that smell worse than Clorox!
Makes Me Sick!

Bear

Moving blankets from harbor freight cost about $3.00/each and one will take up the extra room in. 128qt cooler with two full sized steam table pans.
If something leaks, you’re only out 3 bucks and your wife will not yell at you for wrecking her towels.😎

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky