Why not to buy cheap store baught bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2017
Maplewood OH
This is a pack of great value bacon from Wal-Mart. Mostly fat and no lean. I cooked it anyway. The yield was ridiculous. But I will say with all the fat it did taste pretty darn good. Just thought i would share. It was a 1 lb pack that i robbed 2 slices out of earlier this week so I'm guessing it was about 14oz to start out. Ended up cooked weight was 2.9oz lol. Crazy!
0222200920.jpg
0222200920a.jpg
0222200921.jpg
0222200942_HDR.jpg
0222200948a.jpg

Wow. But, hey, lots of bacon fat to cook with!

I can actually buy commercially cured bacon $2.89-$3.99 / lb for 5 lbs which is cheaper than I can buy uncured pork belly for a minimum of a dollar more per pound. I do avoid buying the all-fat bacon, looking for at least 50% meat. I cure butts for Buckboard bacon because I can get them cheap.

I can actually buy commercially cured bacon $2.89-$3.99 / lb for 5 lbs which is cheaper than I can buy uncured pork belly for a minimum of a dollar more per pound. I do avoid buying the all-fat bacon, looking for at least 50% meat. I cure butts for Buckboard bacon because I can get them cheap.
Yep I put the fat in a mason jar. We use it all the time. Thats some good prices on bacon. We usually butcher once a year and make bacon from the belly. I can buy a whole hog for what it costs to buy two belly slabs. Crazy how all that works.

That is crazy!
I don't think I have ever seen bacon that had so little meat in it.
Even the Berkshire bellies I bought had quite a bit of meat in them.
Al

Reactions: Will Squared
That is crazy!
I don't think I have ever seen bacon that had so little meat in it.
Even the Berkshire bellies I bought had quite a bit of meat in them.
Al
Yea I'm not sure this bacon even comes from market hogs. They raise them so lean now there us no way they have that amount of fat.

I would like to know how much time it takes to arrange the bacon in the window of the package so that it looks like you are getting mostly meat instead of mostly fat?
Id like to know too. One thing is for sure they got it figured out!

I don't shop Wal-mart myself , but would like to have a few packs of that on hand for adding fat to sausage .
It would be perfect for that! There is a local place close to me that occasionally sells 10lb boxes of bacon "ends and pieces" for $19. It's pretty fatty stuff like this. Ive used it in venison sausages and burger pattys before.

Yep I put the fat in a mason jar. We use it all the time. Thats some good prices on bacon. We usually butcher once a year and make bacon from the belly. I can buy a whole hog for what it costs to buy two belly slabs. Crazy how all that works.
What a rip! Never seen anything that bad before. I think that is salt pork actually. I am not really into bacon but my parents are and they make a run to a local processor. Lots of good bacon options here. I think you are headed in the right direction buying a hog. On my to do list same with beef, with a goal of getting ribs thrown in. Not sure if you can find Daisyfield near you but it is killer. $6 lb usually but worth it.

Same here. Sometimes hobbies aren't necessarily cheaper, but usually the product is far better. I've made a few runs of BBB and while good, no where near the quality I want. I think I need less sugar and much longer smoke. I am pretty spoiled with my local source being so good.

Yup , I make the Nuremberg brats from Poli's site . Calls for bacon .
Rich, we talked about this before and still think there's a good chance "bacon" we are seeing in those german recipes are actually calling for belly. I think there is something lost in translation. I see alot of this in leberkase recipes. I see terms raw bacon, belly bacon, and the like. That said, I DO think there are some formulations that ask for the real deal.

Last edited:
Rich, we talked about this before and still think there's a good chance "bacon" we are seeing in those german recipes are actually calling for belly. I think there is something lost in translation. I see alot of this in leberkase recipes. I see terms raw bacon, belly bacon, and the like. That said, I DO think there are some formulations that ask for the real deal.
A podcast I've been listening to addressed that recently. He was saying that `Bacon` referred to pork in general in the old world.

Reactions: zwiller
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky