Why can't I find a tri-tip?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
TT is still an extinct species around here.

Chris

Tri tip quality on the West Coast has dropped significantly since the cut found its way east of the Sierras. Thankfully, due to the cut being fatty, like 80/20, there's not a ton of difference, except price, between Select and Prime grades if you know how to shop for good ones. I picked up four untrimmed Select grades last week for $2.98 / lb.

The one thing I do like is the size has increased. Used to be a trimmed tri tip weighed about 2 to 2.5 lbs, occasionally 3. Now, after trimming, I'm finding mostly 3.5 to 4 lb tri tips.

I've seen some suspect tri tips that looked like shaped brisket points. The grain is the dead giveaway (it doesn't start in the crook of the boomerang but runs in one direction from tip to tip).

Since your right up the street from me in Roseville, where are you finding these larger tri-tips? I'm still only finding them in the usual 2 - 2.5 LB range.

In talking with the meat manager at a Winco in Utah, they have the single wrapped Tri-Tips out on display, but if you ask them they sell a package deal (normally 3 per package) that they sell for less per lb than the single packaged ones. Winco in Utah has has the best deals that I have found, but I am not that much West of Utah so Cal. might have better prices. I live in Colorado and If you can find them there you are paying a much higher price. It is amazing the price difference from place to place.

I've got four in the freezer. Could reach two of them easily. I've got a 4.5 lb'er out there somewhere, but the two I could reach were 4.09 and 3.7 lbs. I usually trim about a half pound of fat. If pressed for time, I don't trim at all and cook the fat off.
20191210_230200.jpg

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky