Why 152?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

down lowe

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 18, 2010
Wixom, MI
I am new to sausage making but have been doing a lot of studying, etc. One question I have not found an answer to yet is why cured sausage needs to be brought up to 152? Can someone please help me understand this?

Thanks!

The First reason for it in ground meat, especially beef is Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli this dies with 15 seconds at 155 F.  At 152 F your carry over will kill it all.  Plus you only need 30 seconds at 152 F.

This was selected to allow maximum water retension by keeping water activity as low as possible, while still ensuring a safe product.

The Second reason is for Nitrite and/or nitrate to be converted to NOx and O3.

perfect - thanks.

so, I think it is because of the cure, but why in cured do we go to 152 versus the recommended minimum temp for fresh sausage? It would be cool to have a timeline type chart that showed at what temps different activities take place - like 40 bacteria starts to multiply, 140 it stops multiplying, 155 Escherichia coli dies after 15 seconds, etc . . . .

Last edited:
perfect - thanks.

so, I think it is because of the cure, but why in cured do we go to 152 versus the recommended minimum temp for fresh sausage? It would be cool to have a timeline type chart that showed at what temps different activities take place - like 40 bacteria starts to multiply, 140 it stops multiplying, 155 Escherichia coli dies after 15 seconds, etc . . . .
I think Princess could do that

icon_cool.gif

Yea what Bob said. Just because the book said it and it's "The Bible"

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky