Who's smoking a turkey for Thanksgiving?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  Go for it ! The worst that can happen is you have to eat your mistakes!

Mike

Not saying this is a mistake.....

Last edited:
I'm doing 4 turkeys this year 2 for thanksgiving and 1 for the shooting class and 1 because I can't have enought turkey in the freezer. I brine mine in salt ,sugar and water nothing fancy. I smoke at about 250º-175º until it reaches 170º.
The only thing I do out of the ordinary is I cut the wings ans leg quarters off. That way not hing dries out while waiting for the others. This works for me , I slice and pull the meat before taking it to others houses, so presentation is not important for us.

I followed the Huffington Post The Ultimate Turkey recipe on a test run a few weeks ago and it turned out amazing. I'm going to halve the salt next time, that's the only change. Going to start a thread momentarily about temp problems I had I think related to gravy heating, but I maintained temps between 300 and 350 and a 14lb bird was done in 3 hours. I didn't chop in half or spatch-cock, it fit hole on my smoker (which doesn't even have a domed lid.

Shorter:

Brine it for 12 hours

Dry it for at least 12 hours

Smoke it at 300-350 until the middle of the breast is 160

Eat it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky