Who's smoking a turkey for Thanksgiving?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  Go for it ! The worst that can happen is you have to eat your mistakes!

Mike

Not saying this is a mistake.....

Last edited:
I'm doing 4 turkeys this year 2 for thanksgiving and 1 for the shooting class and 1 because I can't have enought turkey in the freezer. I brine mine in salt ,sugar and water nothing fancy. I smoke at about 250º-175º until it reaches 170º.
The only thing I do out of the ordinary is I cut the wings ans leg quarters off. That way not hing dries out while waiting for the others. This works for me , I slice and pull the meat before taking it to others houses, so presentation is not important for us.

I followed the Huffington Post The Ultimate Turkey recipe on a test run a few weeks ago and it turned out amazing. I'm going to halve the salt next time, that's the only change. Going to start a thread momentarily about temp problems I had I think related to gravy heating, but I maintained temps between 300 and 350 and a 14lb bird was done in 3 hours. I didn't chop in half or spatch-cock, it fit hole on my smoker (which doesn't even have a domed lid.

Shorter:

Brine it for 12 hours

Dry it for at least 12 hours

Smoke it at 300-350 until the middle of the breast is 160

Eat it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky