Wholesalers for large quantities?

Discussion in 'Catering & Large Group Gatherings' started by generalee, Nov 23, 2014.

1. generalee

generalee Fire Starter

Are there any companies that wholesale meat?

Sometimes I do large quantities, and I don't like to pay retail at the grocery store...

I am not in the catering business, but sometimes sell a few things off the smoker.

Ideas or suggestions?

I'm in Atlanta, GA area if that matters...

2. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Many restaurant suppliers, Sysco, US foods, have walk-in stores where they sell to regular customer's, folks like you that purchase " as needed ". They may have a small markup over true wholesale, it is still better than grocery stores. Also, find a Butcher that slaughters on sight or purchases whole beef and hogs and sells to area restaurants. They too will often accept you as a low volume caterer and sell at a wholesale price. They may require minimum weight to get the good price but again, still cheaper...JJ

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  3. Look in the phone book for meat wholesale. Some will require a tax ID and some won't

Happy smoken.

David

4. bonzbbq

bonzbbq Smoke Blower

Generalee, check sams club, I often buy butts and ribs by the case, their case price is always lower then a grocery store, restaurant depot too if you have one close, hope this helps. Bonz

5. generalee

generalee Fire Starter

Thanks everyone for the ideas.  I'll be checking into all of them!