Whole Turkey Newb

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tko112204

Original poster
Nov 22, 2013
Hey all,

Been lurking for the past couple months since I got my Materbuilt Electric Smokehouse.

Everything I've tried has been great! So, thanks!

Now I need some help on my first Thanksgiving turkey.

I've been looking around and it looks like the go-to brine is the Slaughterhouse method. I think I'm going to go with that brine and the injection. First question, where do I inject it at? All over? In the breast and thigh only?

Also, I'm going to go with a 12-13 lb store bought turkey, so what temp should I smoke it at? I know it has to go from 40-140 in 4 hours, but I'm not good enough yet to translate that to temps. And it looks like I should take it out at about 165* or so and wrap in foil to let it redistribute? Is that right?

If anyone can point me to a "Dummy's guide to smoking a whole turkey" on here that would be great.

Thanks again for all your help! You guys have been awesome so far.

Thank you for joining SMF!  Would you please go to Roll Call and tell us about yourself so we may properly welcome you!

One thing that really helps is to use the Search Bar at the top of the page.  This is one of many threads I found on the subject you're looking for;

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/100575/smoking-a-whole-turkey

Check them out!  Lots of great tips!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky