Whole pork shoulder temp question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thasista

Original poster
Jul 2, 2016
We butchered a hog and I have a whole pork shoulder in my MES. It was a 20 pound shoulder and I cut it in half so it would fit. It's bone in. I have cooked for 16 hours at 235 and the temp on the largest butt is 186. My question is since serving time is 7-8 hours from now about how fast will IT go from 186 to 200 at 235. I know you can't be exact but a rough time would help for planning. I have considered turning smoker temp down to 225. Thanks for your help.

I would think you will be there in a couple of hours.

Yes you can drop the temp to 225.

When it's done just wrap it in foil & towels & put it in a dry cooler.

It will stay hot for several hours, then pull it when you are ready to eat.

Al

We butchered a hog and I have a whole pork shoulder in my MES. It was a 20 pound shoulder and I cut it in half so it would fit. It's bone in. I have cooked for 16 hours at 235 and the temp on the largest butt is 186. My question is since serving time is 7-8 hours from now about how fast will IT go from 186 to 200 at 235. I know you can't be exact but a rough time would help for planning. I have considered turning smoker temp down to 225. Thanks for your help.
I would not drop the temp, in fact I would raise it to 250° at minimum.

Have you taken another temp since you posted 4 hours ago?

I would not drop the temp, in fact I would raise it to 250° at minimum.

Have you taken another temp since you posted 4 hours ago?

Thanks for the replies. I left the temp at 235. The smaller half hit 235 about 15 min ago and is now in a cooler pre warmed with boiling water. (Emptied of course). I ate some of the bark that stuck to the grill and OMG. Foodgasm. The larger 1/2 that I posted about is at 197.

4c844d4e34cd89675b85a620b7abfba1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oops. Typo. The smaller half hit 200 not 235

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky