Who says you can't get good sear marks off a Pellet Smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hagewood91

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Murfreesboro, TN
Heated up the RecTec to just under 500 for this filet. Had no problem getting great sear marks and texture from this steak. Now, mind you I have the aluminum grates that sear better on my grill/smoker. Still very impressed with how versatile this machine is!!
Filet 2.21.2018.jpg

Cheers man, looks great. That said...for my wife and I, we like a little more char on our steaks. I have a Pit Boss Pellet grill (yeah not quite the Rec Tec ;) but it works pretty good at higher temps. The lower temps had crazy temp swings and I was getting ready to go ahead and buy a Rec Tec but I learned that many have fixed their temp swing issues on Traegers and Pit Boss at low temps by replacing the controller with a PID controller which I just did. Jury's out as I'll do my first cook on it this weekend with some ribs. Anyway, I digress. LOVE the smoke flavor a pellet grill can provide but I like to finish the char on my kettle grill which I can get over 1000 degrees to get that steakhouse char. Not a slam at all. I am a firm believer in "to each his own"! Any way, great looking steak and I look forward to more cook pics from your Rec Tec!

Heated up the RecTec to just under 500 for this filet. Had no problem getting great sear marks and texture from this steak. Now, mind you I have the aluminum grates that sear better on my grill/smoker. Still very impressed with how versatile this machine is!!

Looks great to me Dylan!

Cheers man, looks great. That said...for my wife and I, we like a little more char on our steaks. I have a Pit Boss Pellet grill (yeah not quite the Rec Tec ;) but it works pretty good at higher temps. The lower temps had crazy temp swings and I was getting ready to go ahead and buy a Rec Tec but I learned that many have fixed their temp swing issues on Traegers and Pit Boss at low temps by replacing the controller with a PID controller which I just did. Jury's out as I'll do my first cook on it this weekend with some ribs. Anyway, I digress. LOVE the smoke flavor a pellet grill can provide but I like to finish the char on my kettle grill which I can get over 1000 degrees to get that steakhouse char. Not a slam at all. I am a firm believer in "to each his own"! Any way, great looking steak and I look forward to more cook pics from your Rec Tec!

I found this rectec on craigslist otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get it! $500 was a steal for it though! I will be building a house in the next 5-7 years and when I do, I will have the opportunity to get multiple style grills and smokers, as I am going to have an outdoor kitchen built, until then, my precious rectec is all I have! Thanks for the feedback!

Reactions: G-Rod
I found this rectec on craigslist otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get it! $500 was a steal for it though! I will be building a house in the next 5-7 years and when I do, I will have the opportunity to get multiple style grills and smokers, as I am going to have an outdoor kitchen built, until then, my precious rectec is all I have! Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah, that's a smoking deal on that Rec Tec! I would've jumped all over that as well. If the PID controller doesn't hold the temps like I want on my PB, I'll have to check for deals on Craigslist. Wicked "smaat"! :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky