Who makes their own mustard (s)?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
One thing I have been wanting to try is toasting some mustard seeds first. Heck, why not smoke them? Every good chef should know that about what toasting does with every other nut or seed. noboundaries noboundaries - You are really good at getting me to get off my but to toast or roast something! :emoji_nerd:

Reactions: noboundaries
this one is so easy, flavorful, and tweakable.
Just mixed this up . Used red wine vinegar and added some cracked mustard seed . Everything else was the same .
Smelled fantastic , so I had to have a taste .
HOLY $H!X !!
That's freakin hot . Hope it mellows a bit by supper time . It's 1/4 pound hot dog night . Great flavor .

How hot is it without the cracked seeds ?
I made some a couple days ago. I followed Foam’s recipe, but I used malt vinegar. It is spicy tasting in the jar, but I just had a turkey and garlic bologna sandwich with it and the food pretty much killed the spicy. Great flavor though.

Reactions: chopsaw
I just told my Son , might not be so hot on the food .
This taste like a horse radish Dijon mustard .
Just added some more honey . Needs to thicken up some .
That horse radish was the first thing I tasted, but now after a couple days it’s still very much there but has toned down. Some say don’t eat it for 3-4 weeks, ha! Like that gonna happen.

Enjoy those eye-watering dogs!
I added more honey to it , and some more powder . I got it to thin .
It was good on the hot dogs , but this would be fantastic on a soft pretzel or
or brushed on some grilled chicken . This has great flavor .

food pretty much killed the spicy.
Yup . The food took the bite out of it . Still some sting on the snoot .

The recipe as posted is the way to start . I'm going to make another batch as listed .
I got mine to thin trying to tame the heat . Be good for basting or even a salad dressing .
I thickened it back up with the addition of more mustard powder . This is really , really good . I can see a ton of uses for this .
Thanks Ray , noboundaries noboundaries

Reactions: noboundaries
Just made a double batch because I go thru a single batch in about 3 weeks.

Made one batch and added 1 tsp ground ginger to the recipe. Also used white wine instead of water. Result? Nope. Muddied the taste too much.

Made a second batch eliminating the honey and ginger. Also used ACV instead of seasoned rice vinegar, and water instead of wine. Yeah, much more bite. Mixed the two batches together. Now, comes the wait.

Reactions: chopsaw
I still have about half the jar of what I made . It gets better everyday . It's great on hot dogs , but been using it as a dip for pretzels and chicken nuggets . Yes I eat frozen chicken nuggets .
I have 6 jars of store bought mustard in the fridge . That's why this last so long .

The bite settled down a bit, but it was still a joy to eat after several weeks.
Had some last night on hot dogs . It has mellowed down on the bite for sure .
Still great flavor and texture after 2 months in the fridge .

Yes......Brown and Yellow seeds w/ Guinness Stout, or White Wine Vinegar, or tarragon, or whatever.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky