Who all has smoking plans this weekend? I do! I do!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Throwing a brisket on for a night smoke, Wife is coming to visit for the weekend so we will make up a large potato salad as well and feed the everyone at work this weekend. 

But one thing did catch my eye
Phatbac, you said you will wait a couple of hours after lighting your smoker. Is that the secret I have been missing?
Perhaps I have not waited long enough before putting the meat on. Cause my temps end up going way too high. But after 3 hrs it's really steady....

Is this a common practice? What kind of a unit are you using? You may be my hero!
My guess is that he may have a big stick burner. Those take a while to get up to temp and develop some good coals.

Got a rack of spare ribs on now..and gonna do so.e sausages also..first run on a new setup..lots of babysitting to figure out how it acts.

I do have a stick burner and she takes a while to get hot and most of the time I like to get her to around 350-375 to clean her before I cook food. I steam clean her with a garden hose before every smoke as Lang recommends. Then I let her cool some before smoking my meat depending on what I'm smoking. This case I went from hot coals to clean in about an hour and some and then soon after she had cooked a little I started the butt. That was about 5:45am. At about 6:45 (2:15 after I lit her up) I put on my baby backs. Betty (my Smoker) was at 230° humming right along. She held 215-245° from about 6:30am till about 2:30 pm and went down because I stopped feeding her sticks.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Last edited:
I am going to be doing some pork butt burnt ends for the first time.  I am using the recipe on this site.

I did a 7lbs port butt earlier in the week for the first time that turned out incredible. 

I'm fighting with my Akorn and can't get a good steady temperature from the get go. I am thinking, at this point I may be using too much fuel. Or maybe not letting it burn down a bit. But will continue to experiment on the sucker!

A friend of mine has an akorn and says it leaks air like a sieve. That will cause your temps to be high. Air =heat. Try to seal your air leaks as much as possible. Search for akorn mods. I don't know that unit well but I bet you seal the air leaks it will perform like a champ!

Good luck and Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Lots of posts no pics!

worthless.gif

There you go!

Nothing big. Just starting to get active again after doc cleared me. Acouple of pork sausage chubs for breakfast and some apps. ABT's for tommorrow afternoon along with a nice spare rack I found last minute @$1.69 lb. Got 200 little necks with shrimp and scallops for the 4th. To everyone-enjoy !!

Reactions: pete mcnulty
Any down side to trying to speed up the process from low and slow to say 400 degrees F for a Boston butt?
You won't get as much smoke on the meat. But if you cook at that temp you will speed up the process. Cook to 205° and it will fall apart tender. Of course you can make it easier by putting it in the oven. Your meat, up to you.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Aaron, thank you sir. Bark is getting there and it's been 4 plus hours now. Internal temp at 165 (stall?) going to wrap it in foil because the park looks real good and then get it up to 200 and let it rest. She was an 8.5 lb. piece. I think 5 hrs plus of smoking, another hour or so wrapped in foil, the. A good 45 min rest. We'll see. First pork butt on my newly home built smoker.

Smoked 4 lbs of pork sirloin marinated for two days in a concocted Honey and Hoisin Char Siu recipe.  Ended up doing them on the Kettle.  Thought they'd char because of the honey in the marinade and the sauce I was basting them with.  No char by the time they reached 145F IT, but they were friggin' juicy, tender, and delicious. 

Went grocery shopping yesterday and picked up some meaty Choice grade short ribs.  Will smoke them Monday or Tuesday.  They are in the fridge dry brining with a light dusting of Montreal Steak Seasoning. 

Pork Sirloins marinated and sauced with Honey and Honey Hoisin sauce.  Grill smoked in the Kettle.

Short ribs dry brining.  Nothing special to look at yet.

Reactions: pete mcnulty
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky