White butcher paper vs brown butcher paper

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dcecil

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 3, 2018
Clovis Ca
all I could find locally was white butcher paper. I will be finishing off a Tri Tip today using butcher. This was recommended in another post and I want to give it a shot. Just wanting to make sure I’m not using the wrong stuff

I’ve used both. The white works, but it’s not the same. The fibers in the peach paper are different. Also, some white paper has a waxy side. Make sure the kind you are using doesn’t have that wax.

I've personally found no difference between the two except for what 73saint stated that some white has wax on one side.

Reactions: dcecil
Thanks Saint, no wax on what I bought. Is there a website anyone uses to purchase the peach paper your talking about

I've personally found no difference between the two except for what 73saint stated that some white has wax on one side.
Thanks Normanaj, I’m seriously glad I got lucky and did not by the paper with wax. I bought a roll that should be a life supply and I had to open to make sure no wax so I would have been stuck with it LOL

I got mine on eBay. The seller is burntendpaper. I got a grate clip for free, and still have some of the peach paper left. I have no complaints, and use it about 50% of the time when smoking brisket.

Last edited:
Reactions: dcecil
I got mine on eBay. The seller is burntendpaper. I got a grate clip for free, and still have peach paper. I have no complaints, and use it about 50% of the time when smoking brisket.
Thanks Saint. I’ll look that up

I found it on amazon a few years back I think . . . Probably still have half a roll left ha ha!
Mattyt, I’m attempting your Tri Tip post as week speak. I just watched the internal temp of the Tri Tip hit the temp where I normally would take it off. Goes against everything I know about Tri Tip but here we go. On to new uncharted territory

Want to try wrapping with white butcher paper. I've called several markets, all willing to give me a piece but all call it "freezerpaper". Will that work?? Trying to smoke tomorrow. Like to try before buying a whole roll if your know what I mean. LOL

Ask them if is is waxed or non-waxed paper...you want non waxed. Both are called freezer paper, though waxed is a truer freezer paper (in my opinion), which is not what you want for your use.

Ask them if is is waxed or non-waxed paper...you want non waxed. Both are called freezer paper, though waxed is a truer freezer paper (in my opinion), which is not what you want for your use.
I agree with this. I have always associated freezer paper with a waxed finish on one side. That I would absolutely not use to wrap for cooking. I've tried regular brown butcher paper and while it works, it's NOT THE SAME as peach paper. The fibers are different, and I believe the peach paper is really what you want to look for when wrapping brisket. I have the regular brown butcher paper as well, and while I have used it, it wasn't the same as the peach paper I use now.

Want to try wrapping with white butcher paper. I've called several markets, all willing to give me a piece but all call it "freezerpaper". Will that work?? Trying to smoke tomorrow. Like to try before buying a whole roll if your know what I mean. LOL

Freezer paper is a whole different horse.
That's what my parents used to wrap Meat up for the freezer, with masking tape. Before Vac Sealers.
It had two shiny sides.
Back in the 60s & before, if you got a deer processed, or some meat cut & wrapped by a Butcher, they wrapped it in Freezer paper.

Bear

Last edited:
Freezer paper = NO....
Butcher paper that is not USDA or FDA certified = NO...
Could be paper made in China from recycled paper.. Do you want to wrap your meat in recycled paper ??

iu

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky