Which style of smoker is your favorite?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Honestly I use my Smoke Vault 24 propane smoker more than my other 4 smokers.

To me the flavor is just as good as charcoal/wood and it's so much easier to use.

Al

GOSM for Appetizers, fatties, ABT's, cheese, nuts, fish etc....

Stick burner for roasts,ribs, loins etc...

My pellet grill/smoker is the favorite out of all the types I have currently or had in the past.  Ridiculously easy and consistent.

Joe and me are on the same page...i love WSM some but no where near my offset stick burner for flavor and fun!

Happy Smoking,

phatbac (Aaron)
That's the thing.  I really like my WSM but once I get the charcoal burning and things assembled it's almost 'set it and forget it'.  I may have to adjust the bottom vents a hair's breadth now and then but there's nothing to it.  Most smokes don't require the addition of charcoal or water.  The offsets would be a bit more fiddley I guess and what man doesn't like playing with fire. :)

I'm not sure how practical it is to keep raising the firebox lid on an offset smoker but some burgers and dogs can be cooking on the firebox food grate while the ribs are smoking.  If that's not practical then the firebox can be used to grill a steak or two without smoking foods too.

I just about have myself talked into buying one in case you haven't picked up on that from my other recent posts. :D

Thanks all!

Last edited:

That's the thing.  I really like my WSM but once I get the charcoal burning and things assembled it's almost 'set it and forget it'.  I may have to adjust the bottom vents a hair's breadth now and then but there's nothing to it.  Most smokes don't require the addition of charcoal or water.  The offsets would be a bit more fiddley I guess and what man doesn't like playing with fire. :)

I'm not sure how practical it is to keep raising the firebox lid on an offset smoker but some burgers and dogs can be cooking on the firebox food grate while the ribs are smoking.  If that's not practical then the firebox can be used to grill a steak or two without smoking foods too.

I just about have myself talked into buying one in case you haven't picked up on that from my other recent posts. :D

Thanks all!
I smoke with my offset. if i wanna do a burger/dog/steak on the grill i break out my weber kettle.

I know some of the cheaper offsets show people using the firebox as a direct cooker and i guess that is fine but if you really gonna buy an offset stick burner base your decision on the smoking value not the grilling value you get from it. besides a good charcoal grill is like 100 bucks.

Happy Smoking,

phatbac (Aaron)

Aaron is right on. I have a custom smoker that has all of the whistles and bells that I would ever want. But, my wife bought a Weber 22" premium for me a couple of months ago just for the purpose of hamburgers, steaks, reverse sear, extra hot cooks and all of the very small cooks that she usually does on her gas grill. I think they are a natural compliment.

I've had my Weber 22.5" kettle since 1978.  It's still in great shape though a bit faded.  I'm good for grilling burgers and dogs on it.  Just thought I'd ask about the food grill in the firebox.

I have a long history with weber kettles, I love those things but after a few years with my wsm, my kettles are used for grilling and small indirect cooks, the wsm does all the smoking now. Which I guess is really what each cooker was intended for....as a guy with young kids pulling me all over the place I love the capacity of my wsm and the ease of use and how steady it holds temps, I can see in a few years when the kids are older buying a stick burner and playing with that.

Joe and me are on the same page...i love WSM some but no where near my offset stick burner for flavor and fun!

Happy Smoking,

phatbac (Aaron)
Make that 3 of us on the same page
icon14.gif
love my stick burners and can't imagine using anything else. My Santa Maria has been getting all the attention lately though but that burns sticks too! Charcoal and propane are for starting wood on fire!
biggrin.gif

I have the Bradley electric smoker and i absolutely love it. Easy to control temps. A lot of options for different wood for your smoking preference. 

Sounds like I won't be disappointed with a good offset smoker.  I'll sleep on the idea again tonight and probably place an order tomorrow.

The MES 30 would be my favorite for most cooks, especially cheese, fish, and jerky. It's just so nice for small cooks.

Stick burner is definitely the most "fun" though. There's just something about playing with fire and cooking meat at the same time.

I like my offset smoker. A little extra work running one. But well worth it for the flavor and the extra room.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky