Which pellet grill I should buy? Traeger, Camp Chef or Req Teq?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

richgibson

Original poster
Jul 14, 2022
Hi! I'm planning to buy the best pellet grill. I need your thoughts on either of these 3 pellet grills or any other ones if you want to recommend them? I would like to buy at Amazon if possible for easy return if the grill has a problem.

1. Traeger pro 780
2. Camp Chef Woodwind 24"
3. Rec Teq RT 700

Last edited:
In my opinion, not the traeger, have read too many posts of issues with them. Know several that really like their camp chef pellet grill. Probably even more that love their rec tec and the customer service. I bought a Green Mountain pellet smoker this year and love it!
But when I was looking the best advice I got was not to buy from big box stores...which would include Amazon. Find a dealer close to you and buy from them. That way if you have issues you can deal with someone local. I have 3 GMG dealers within 30 miles...was a big part of my decision.

Ryan

If I remember correctly from a recent thread, Traeger does not sell replacement parts such as controllers, augers/auger assemblies, you know, the stuff that might break right after the warranty goes out, so that's a no go for me. I've had my Camp Chef SG24 WIFI for a little over a year, and it's been flawless. Rec-Tec was my other choice, but I worked up a better deal on the CC.

If you compare price to what you are getting, I would have to say go with the Camp Chef, they are very reliable, and the customer service is great. I have owned the DLX24 Pro for probably 6 or 7 years and the only thing that I have had to replace is a knob that cracked and a temp probe that was very easy to do and this unit sets out side all year.

the only thing that I have had to replace is a knob that cracked and a temp probe
One thing I learned about the CC probes is be very careful sliding them back out of the probe port. Evidently I wasn't careful enough because I have one the controller will no longer detect unless you wiggle the wire around where it goes into the probe. I suspect that I did it when pulling the hot probe back through the port by the wire. I'm very careful to make sure it doesn't hang on anything coming back out now.

Hi! I'm planning to buy the best pellet grill. I need your thoughts on either of these 3 pellet grills or any other ones if you want to recommend them? I would like to buy at Amazon if possible for easy return if the grill has a problem.

1. Traeger pro 780
2. Camp Chef Woodwind 24"
3. Rec Teq RT 700
I have a Camp Chef Woodwind PG36, so just a larger version of the. I bought it because pork butts fit the upper grates, I don't think the Traeger has as much room. After a year I like it a lot. They seem to have solved the connectivity issues with the wifi controller.

RT 1250 here.....6 year warranty on the 700. I’m very satisfied with the performance of RT!

Just bought a RT 1250 a couple of months ago, and love it. Still learning it, but so far it has been flawless.
Al

I recently bought a Traeger Pro 34 have done 6 low and slow cooks on it using 3 different brands of pellets. No problems yet.

One thing I learned about the CC probes is be very careful sliding them back out of the probe port. Evidently I wasn't careful enough because I have one the controller will no longer detect unless you wiggle the wire around where it goes into the probe. I suspect that I did it when pulling the hot probe back through the port by the wire. I'm very careful to make sure it doesn't hang on anything coming back out now.
I was talking about the probe that measures the temp inside the smoker, sorry if I didn't make that clear enough

Reactions: DougE
Those probes juuuussssttt fit through the port. When I use a Smoke probe for a temp alarm there's only one way to manipulate the CC and Smoke probes through the port.

If I was going to buy a pellet pooper I'd sure as heck get a RecTec after hearing all the kudos from owners on this form. That being said, I'm still not buying a PP, happy with my Webers. RAY

Reactions: CoolbreezeBBQ
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky