Which pellet grill I should buy? Traeger, Camp Chef or Req Teq?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Re the Rec Teq 700 … they have put the higher speed auger on the 590 and 1250, and intend but have not yet done so on the 700. So the former can get to 700*F but the 700 will ‘only’ reach 500*F (all from their published info, owners here can confirm or correct)

If I was going to buy a pellet pooper I'd sure as heck get a RecTec after hearing all the kudos from owners on this form. That being said, I'm still not buying a PP, happy with my Webers. RAY
Amen, Brother, I did get a pellet, and am having fun with it. There are definitely some perks, but I got my trusty 22 inch Weber Kettle with the vortex, slow n sear, and new Santa Maria sitting right next to me. They do it all, and put out just as good or better BBQ/food than anything out there.
image.jpg

Honestly, from those choices...for me.... it's a no brainer- Rectec. I've had my Stampede for almost 3 years and it's exceeded my expectations.

I do some research before I make a purchase, and probably went with Traeger because of the original name brand, and aesthetics. I like to sit back enjoy a few cocktails, and look at it. IMO the other brands just look chintzy to me. I’m pretty sure they are all excellent grills if you keep up on CARE/MAINTENANCE after the cook. Which is very important. Just finished an overnight cook, I think my 7th long cook, have done a whole Brisket, pork butt twice, ribs twice, a pork belly, and a Chuck roast. All 6 to 12 hour cooks. After every cook I have emptied remaining pellets with Traegers handy pellet release, put in shut down mode which empties and burns remaining pellets in auger, cleaned grates, shop vac’d ash and cover with a good water proof cover. I will continue to do so to prevent any issues in future cooks.
18B551E2-9CCD-4C12-84AC-0BE75FB74519.jpeg
image.jpg

After every cook I have emptied remaining pellets with Traegers handy pellet release, put in shut down mode which empties and burns remaining pellets in auger, cleaned grates, shop vac’d ash and cover with a good water proof cover.
WOW thats a lot of maintenance to do after every cook...to much for me. I have left pellets in my rec teq all winter and never had an issue - in fact I have never emptied the hopper. Its gotten pretty low from use and then refilled. I vac the fire pot and refoil the drip tray every few cooks...like every 3-5 depending on how long the cooks were.

WOW thats a lot of maintenance to do after every cook...to much for me. I have left pellets in my rec teq all winter and never had an issue - in fact I have never emptied the hopper. Its gotten pretty low from use and then refilled. I vac the fire pot and refoil the drip tray every few cooks...like every 3-5 depending on how long the cooks were.
I’m sure I could get away with that too, but I’m a little anal, and it really isn’t too much for me. I’d rather be safe than sorry, and NEVER have to deal with the HASSLE of customer service, or warranties. I want my equipment looking and working as close to new as possible everytime use it. No matter what brand I buy. They last a lifetime that way.

WOW thats a lot of maintenance to do after every cook...to much for me. I have left pellets in my rec teq all winter and never had an issue - in fact I have never emptied the hopper. Its gotten pretty low from use and then refilled. I vac the fire pot and refoil the drip tray every few cooks...like every 3-5 depending on how long the cooks
I’m sure I could get away with that too, but I’m a little anal, and it really isn’t too much for me. I’d rather be safe than sorry, and NEVER have to deal with the HASSLE of customer service, or warranties. I want my equipment looking and working as close to new as possible everytime use it. No matter what brand I buy. They last a lifetime that way.
Takes me 30 seconds to open the trap door and empty remaining pellets back into bucket, and 10 minutes to to empty auger and burn remaining pellets in shutdown mode. I’m not sure if other brands offer those features or not.

Takes me 30 seconds to open the trap door and empty remaining pellets back into bucket, and 10 minutes to to empty auger and burn remaining pellets in shutdown mode. I’m not sure if other brands offer those features or not.
Looks like Rec Teq has a better warranty, after looking at rest of comparison it’s probably necessary.
9AB797BB-229E-4D2C-825A-312FBAB6F58E.jpeg
A695DCD1-DAC9-4D85-9058-ABA72A086783.jpeg

My vote is for the Camp Chef. Ive had my 36inch Lux for 5 years and it never misses a beat. I even use it in the winter(shouldn't but can't help it) Im from Alberta and it will start at almost minus 20c. I really don't clean it as much as i should either and it keeps going. Definitely built solid. Not a stitch of rust anywhere. I have never once left it uncovered, im sure that goes a long way to its reliability.

Corey

Reactions: CoolbreezeBBQ
My vote is for the Camp Chef. Ive had my 36inch Lux for 5 years and it never misses a beat. I even use it in the winter(shouldn't but can't help it) Im from Alberta and it will start at almost minus 20c. I really don't clean it as much as i should either and it keeps going. Definitely built solid. Not a stitch of rust anywhere. I have never once left it uncovered, im sure that goes a long way to its reliability.

Corey
Corey, when you use your grill in the winter, do you have a "blanket" to cover the grill to help hold in the heat?

Corey, when you use your grill in the winter, do you have a "blanket" to cover the grill to help hold in the heat?
Ya. I bought the top blanket when i bought the grill. Im supposed to take that off in the summer but it stays on year round also. Looks as good as new, except for a nice smoked brown hue.😉 If i want 350 in the winter, i just set the temp to 500 and it holds pretty close to what i need. Takes about 45 min to get there but it gets there eventually.

Corey

Reactions: CoolbreezeBBQ
thanks for the info, was reading that the magnets that camp chef uses in the blanket can only take about 350 degrees, over that temp they will lose their power

Im not Cory, but I run my Rec Teq all winter in SLC. I think most people with pellet grill run them in the cold and snow. Rec Teq used to sell a cold weather cover that was fitted. I have one and it works great. They stopped selling them because they said it wasn't really needed. the Rec Teq will reach and hold temp in any weather, but when its around freezing or lower it will use more pellets to do so.

Many people use welding blankets for the same purpose because they wont burn.

I use a Harbor Freight welding blanket on my Camp Chef in winter. Does the same thing the custom cover does at a way cheaper price. Also, don't forget to close the stack gap down to 1/2 inch in the cold weather.

I use a Harbor Freight welding blanket on my Camp Chef in winter. Does the same thing the custom cover does at a way cheaper price. Also, don't forget to close the stack gap down to 1/2 inch in the cold weather.
Doug, what gap do you run your stack during the warmer months?

The place i bought the grill from threw in the winter cover for no extra cost but a welding blanket would do the trick also. Im not sure what campchef uses as an insulation in their blankets but mine weighs a ton.

Corey

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky