Which LEM Collagen Casings should I use?

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by gruversm, Jan 17, 2016.

1. I own a 606SS Lem stuffer.  The smallest tube is 1/2" and would like to make snack sticks.  Which size LEM collagen casing would you suggest?

2. highlife4me

highlife4me Fire Starter

I like to use 19 mm but they do not fit on the 1/2" tube  without unraveling the casing.  I purchased a 3/8" tube and am happy with it but you need to add a little more water to the meat.  Not sure if the 21 mm fit the 1/2" tube much better.

i

3. boykjo

boykjo Sausage maker Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

You will need this for the lem 5 lb stuffer

LEM 606A Stainless Steel Sausage Stuffing Tube for Stuffers - 3/8 Inch ID with 1 9/16 Inch Base

Joe

4. tjmitche

tjmitche Smoke Blower

I have the same stuffer.  I used my LEM 606A Stainless Steel Sausage Stuffing Tube to stuff LEM 17mm casings last weekend.

We had some blowouts. Casings fit on the tube was fine.  

I am going with sheep casing next time around just to experiment. Those 17mm casings required a lot of focus to prevent blowouts. I'm not sure if the 19mm casing would have helped eliminate that.  

The final product turned out great. Can't complain as it was our first attempt at stuffing and smoking sticks.  Prior to this we can been using the Jerky Cannon and Q-Mats

5. BoykJo:  I believe the smallest tube that came with my  606SS is a 1/2"OD (3/8"ID).

Should I be fine?

6. driedstick

driedstick Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

7. highlife4me

highlife4me Fire Starter

That is what is pictured, but there is a 3/8" O.D. available also. It works real good for the smaller casings but you need to be careful with the stuffer.

8. boykjo

1/2 inch OD will work fine for 19 mm and up

9. Thanks everyone!

10. tjmitche

tjmitche Smoke Blower

Here's where I got mine.

11. ol smoky

ol smoky Smoke Blower

He has that one already. It came with his stuffer. I have the same setup. Lem doesn't make a 3/8 OD tube. I got one off eBay but I ended up bending my stuffer threaded rod with it.

12. tjmitche

tjmitche Smoke Blower

Roger that. My bad

13. ol smoky

ol smoky Smoke Blower

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  14. highlife4me

highlife4me Fire Starter

Thats the one I have and wouldn't make sticks without it. No more unraveling casings just to get them on the tube. I do add about 25% more water or beer to the mix to allow the meat to flow through the tube easier.

15. ol smoky

ol smoky Smoke Blower

how much water do you put it per 5lbs?

16. highlife4me

highlife4me Fire Starter

I usually make sticks in 25 lb. batches, then I use a half gallon of liquid which would equal about 1 1/2 cups for 5 lbs.

17. boykjo

The amount of water should be based on weather you are using a binder. Using a binder will require more water. Is the 1 1/2 cup used with a binder like NFDM in the mix. 1 1/2 cups of water is a little much to straight meat and could make the meat grainy

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  18. highlife4me

highlife4me Fire Starter

I always mix in 1 cup NFDM per 5 lbs of meat. Kinda an unwritten law isn't it?