Which is better - Baby Back Ribs or Spare Ribs (cut St. Louis style)?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

I am having a lot of trouble going back to spare ribs. I did some baby back ribs last summer and they were soooooooooooo good. I could not believe it. I dont like the big pieces of I dont know what on spare ribs, is it fat? It looks like big plastic circles in the meat. There is a good deal on spares this weekend, $1.97 a rack for st louis cut. The deal is too good to pass up. I want to get bbr for $1 more but the cost savings is major. I use 3-2-1 on spares and 2-2-1 on bb. Maybe I need to get better with spares and bb are easier to cook?

Ton of extra meat on spares, I'll trim and either slice the thickness and of ribs and call them boneless ribs, the kids love them.

Or I'll chop and make Rib Bits (Pig Candy) and they're a bigger hit than the ribs themselves.

To me the price of spares compared to what you get out of it is a much better value than Baby Backs

I now shave the top and bottom off of the center cut that is all bones and cartilage and process for pork patties (working on a recipe with this process for the last year, hopefully will post soon)

I personally LOOOOOOVE BBs.  They're like meat candy, as my wife calls them!!  I've got it down to a science and make my own rub (variation on Jeff's great recipe) and sauce, like every self-respecting caveman does.

I'm actually doing my first smoked (non-grilled) SLCs this weekend, hoping they come out as good as my BBs!

Good luck whatever you go with!!

Tom

Thanks.  How do you trim the bbb ribs?  Do you just cut off the end that is so thick, or shave off some of the meat to get the thickness more even?
You don't trim them at all, just pull off the backside membrane which you probably know anyhow from reading.

Also, I've never used Jimmy's juice recipe, that sounds GOOOOODDD!!!  I'm trying it this weekend.  For during the first smoking segment, I spritz every so often with a 50/50 mix of apple juice and dark rum.

I'm trying that recipe this weekend too.  So excited!

Yeah, I've always just  pulled the membrane off the bbb ribs, never trimmed, but I was wondering if anyone shaves some down on one end to make them more even across.  The ones I've been buying are super super thick on one end.  I hate that.   Maybe I just need to find a better place to purchase my ribs. 

I used to always cook baby backs out of habit. There were a few bad experiences with my St. Louis ribs in the past that scared me away. For my wife's birthday this year, I cooked 8 slabs of St. Louis, trimmed, each a different way. The results were surprising to me. Cooking at 225 modifying the times slightly for temp, mesquite sticks on my Southern Pride rotisserie cooker, I found the perfect ribs that my wife loved. We sat in the kitchen and taste tested all of them. The one she liked most was Rubbed with some honey brown, them bathed in Orange juice for 2 hours. Reapplied rub, added brown sugar and smoked a modified 3-2-1. Honey glazed.

I have some new ideas I want to try with an apple/sage brine. Point is, I'm burned out on baby backs...no pun intended. Be creative and challenge yourself to find something new that works for you! If mamma ain't happy, nobody's happy!

I'm trying that recipe this weekend too.  So excited!

Yeah, I've always just  pulled the membrane off the bbb ribs, never trimmed, but I was wondering if anyone shaves some down on one end to make them more even across.  The ones I've been buying are super super thick on one end.  I hate that.   Maybe I just need to find a better place to purchase my ribs. 
Something I do if one side is a LOT thicker is put that side toward the edge of the smoker (I have a WSM 22) on my rib rack so it's more exposed to higher heat.  The thinner end then I keep more over the center, directly over my heat sink of clay pot/gravel.  Probably more than I need to do but I have to keep myself busy somehow.  :-)

Thanks so much for sharing this!  I'm doing ribs for Memorial day and I think I'll try your foiling juice recipe for sure.  We definitely like the sweet flavor with ribs, not the vinegar/tanging taste.   Have you ever done the foiling method at 275 degrees?  I read a thread on here where people cooked St Louis Cut at 275 and did a 2-2-1 method.
No, I have not foiled at 275° but there is no reason not too. At 275 no foil they go 4 hours. Change to an hour in foil and the time will still stay close to the same if not go faster. At 275 2-2-1 would be 5 hours, I would worry they would be mushy. If you want to foil at 275° I would suggest going 2-1-what ever it takes to get what you want. This last segment of the cook is more likely to be about a half hour to 45 min...JJ

Last edited:
I am new to smoking and this forum so I don't know a bunch of the abbrieviations and slang. Can someone please tell me what 3, 2, 1, method means?

I am new to smoking and this forum so I don't know a bunch of the abbrieviations and slang. Can someone please tell me what 3, 2, 1, method means?
Hey Rob,

Typically the 3-2-1 method is suggested for Spares and the 2-2-1 method for Baby Backs. The first number suggests the numbers of hours unfoiled on the smoker, the second quantity of hours foiled, and the third hour unfoiled.

Of course people often make some slight changes or adaptations to these times...they serve as a great guideline.

Cheers.

Thanks Chad.  I'm learning a lot today.  :)

BTW< I'm a Saint Louis rib guy myself.  But really folks, take any pork mixed, with seasonings, and cooked low and slow with smoke and you can call it what ever you like.  I'm in!

Reactions: rob sicc
Very cool.  they look great.  I have 2 questions.  Which was your favorite and did you have enough?  lol  Is there ever enough BBQ?

baby back there thick and meaty
drool.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky