Which charcoal brand do you use?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Good info I learned recently.
Amazing the difference in quality between RO and Frontier lump.
My last bag of RO was lots of shards and the lump was significantly kiln dried lumber scraps.
On my 3rd bag of Frontier and all wood pieces. Still a bit of shards, but I modified both my chimneys and my kettle grate to hold the shards from falling in the ash pile

Reactions: Mr. Zorg
I bought a bag of flavor and fire lump from Publix a couple days ago and was pretty happy with it. Decent size with very little gravel.
download.jpeg

I have recently bought a Nomad grill/smoker and I typically play around with pellet grills and now I’m slowly getting into the charcoal game…just wondering what everyone’s favorite charcoal brand is…I’d like to experiment a little.
I'm going to be a girl and change my mind. All done with expert grill after today's cook.8 lb bag cindered in less than 6 hours. going back to Royal oak. need to find a container and ice scoop to manage the huge bag

Reactions: Mr. Zorg
My wife grabbed me a 30lb bag of royal oak lump to try out (had to see why everyone loves it) and I gota say I hate it. Maybe I got a crap bag but im 3/4 through the bag and aside from one giant chunk of what looked exactly like a 2×4 every piece in the bag is a tiny little nugget. I mean so small a lot of it falls through the grate at the bottom of my chimney starter. Doesnt burn any hotter than the original Kingsford briquettes I use and completely burns out super fast (probably because each piece is small). Ive watched videos of other people using it and theirs seems to be a good mix of medium sized pieces but the bag i got is crap. I like the consistency i get from the Kingsford briquettes. Even if they aren't the highest regarded briquettes i get 2 20lb bags for less than $20 from lowes and I grill a lot so wherever I can save money is good.

My wife grabbed me a 30lb bag of royal oak lump to try out (had to see why everyone loves it) and I gota say I hate it. Maybe I got a crap bag but im 3/4 through the bag and aside from one giant chunk of what looked exactly like a 2×4 every piece in the bag is a tiny little nugget. I mean so small a lot of it falls through the grate at the bottom of my chimney starter. Doesnt burn any hotter than the original Kingsford briquettes I use and completely burns out super fast (probably because each piece is small). Ive watched videos of other people using it and theirs seems to be a good mix of medium sized pieces but the bag i got is crap. I like the consistency i get from the Kingsford briquettes. Even if they aren't the highest regarded briquettes i get 2 20lb bags for less than $20 from lowes and I grill a lot so wherever I can save money is good.
Well hate you had a bad experience with the RO but sounds like you've got a keeper for a wife 🤣 !
I'm always curious about the handling once it arrives at the destination. Lots of bags I see at WM are torn and I have to sift thru them for a good one...trying to avoid the chips and broken pieces. Some stores like Lowe's will give a discount for torn bags.

Keith

Reactions: MJB05615
I've bounced from xpertrill walmart) and RO lump. I think wally world burns faster. I like the little bags for $5 and bought a ton. works perfect for my MB560. I went to a third world county to buy some B&B lump and wasnt that impressed for the extrsa moeny.

I probably have my answer somewhere I’m the thread but if not, B&B lump. Tried many and it’s the best in my book. Burns clean and hot and never any scrap wood or crazy stuff in the bag.

Well hate you had a bad experience with the RO but sounds like you've got a keeper for a wife 🤣 !
I'm always curious about the handling once it arrives at the destination. Lots of bags I see at WM are torn and I have to sift thru them for a good one...trying to avoid the chips and broken pieces. Some stores like Lowe's will give a discount for torn bags.

Keith
Yeah I wondered about handling too but this 30lb bag is MASSIVE. It would take a LOT of mishandling for it to have broken everything in it into smaller pieces like I got. Im pretty sure they came from the factory like this. Oh and there was a rock in the bag too. Forgot about that. Saw a video online also of a guy that had a massive rock in his bag as well. The rock that came in mine was smaller than his, little smaller than a baseball maybe.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky