• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Which charcoal brand do you use?

Bobby Strange

Fire Starter
Joined Dec 30, 2019
I have recently bought a Nomad grill/smoker and I typically play around with pellet grills and now I’m slowly getting into the charcoal game…just wondering what everyone’s favorite charcoal brand is…I’d like to experiment a little.

forktender

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 10, 2008
Royal oak for both lump and briquettes, or whatever is on sale.

Colin1230

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 18, 2021
Kingsford Blue Bag here. Used to buy it cheap but no sales lately. Burns very consistent. Kingsford Pro is good also just burns a little hotter. I definitely want to try some Royal Oak.

TomCrump

Fire Starter
Joined Aug 11, 2019
I stock up on Kingsford Blue Bag when it's on sale, generally around holidays.

I've experimented with other brands, but found Kingsford to be more consistent with heat output and burn times.

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Me I'm a cheapie I use Walmart Expert Grill and have never had a problem with. Cost $6 for a 16lb bag.
Some think its made by Royal Oak because it has the same style ridges in it.

Warren

BigW.

Smoking Fanatic
Joined May 13, 2019

MJB05615

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined May 12, 2018
I agree with Warren, been using the Wal Mart Expert Grill Briquettes and Lump. I've been told several times it is made by RO. Either way can't beat the price, and it's almost always in stock.

noboundaries

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 7, 2013
Royal Oak briqs, which are near flawless stamps, or one of their "seconds" store brands (Embers, Expert Grill, Safeway, and Winco. I'm sure there are others, but I don't know them). The seconds burn exactly like the good stamps but are a little misshapen or cracked.

When I want lump, I use Royal Oak or Lazzari. B&B is great but too pricy for my preference.

Kingsford anything will never heat my grill or smoker again.

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
MJB05615 Thanks for the like I appreciated it.

Seconds works for I mean even ask my second wife, :emoji_wink: :emoji_laughing: (40 years now)

Warren

MJB05615

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined May 12, 2018
MJB05615 Thanks for the like I appreciated it.

Seconds works for I mean even ask my second wife, :emoji_wink: :emoji_laughing: (40 years now)

Warren
Thank you for the like as well Warren. Seconds also works for me, although I'm still on my First Wife, 36 years. But food wise I'm very partial to having seconds at most meals, lol.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 15, 2012
Basically what's every available in todays world or what on sale.

Chris

xbubblehead

Fire Starter
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 31, 2021
Plain old Kingsford Original, burns predictably and is cheap in the dual 20 lb bag packaging from Sam's Club. I've tried other brands over the years but keep coming back to Kingsford.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.